• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red cherry shrimp at 16-18c

mort

I've seen the natural range for cherry shrimp is 14-28c with around 22c where they are most comfortable. I'm planning a no filter, no heater tank for my excess plants as a bit of an experiment (will still get proper maintanance). I'd guess the room temp will be 16c minimum in the winter, perhaps a little warmer and the tank will be big enough to prevent to big a temp swing but just seeing if this sort of tank and them is feasible really. I know they won't breed as quickly or do as well as with a warmer temp but there would only be a few in there which I'd take from my main colony as it needs reducing.

Thanks in advance.

I've got some in room-temperature now but it's summer here. Last year I ran a heater. It drops down under 60 Fahrenheit at night and so far no problems. I'll let you know as things progress. I've decided to use this tank for natives so I took the heater out

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

I left a tank with Taiwan bee/shadow shrimp in an unheated flat in Scotland in the middle of winter. They were absolutely fine. Temps must have dropped to low teens at night(at least) although I never checked. My prls are in an unheated tank in the kitchen and do well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm going to trial run the tank for a few weeks to see how stable it is. Will also probably try a little filter if I can find one as it makes me feel better even if not strictly needed.

I think they burrow somewhat and the water does insulate a bit. In cold weather it's always warmer in the water and more so near rotting vegetation. I keep mine with fish so they're always hiding somewhere deep in the mire

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

I never heat my tanks because I live in a warm area. My shrimps can live without any problem at 17-18°C and even breed. Actually I think they live much better at this temperature than above 20°C

Jordi

Thanks, I'm going to trial run the tank for a few weeks to see how stable it is. Will also probably try a little filter if I can find one as it makes me feel better even if not strictly needed.
I would never consider having an unfiltered tank even when heavily planted. At the least I would suggest a small air driven corner filter. I have to clean the sponge that is over the filter inlet every few weeks.
66d391b4934c0759194250c0284fc9d0.jpg

Lindy, what's that white stuf? Food?
It is food called Snowflake. It doesn't go off so there is always some in there. Buggers spread it around though lol

Back