red eye tetra. do they jump alot?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by samc, 20 Oct 2009.

1. samc

samc Member

hi all

i have just bought 5 red eye tetra for my braceless 60cm and one has already jumped out. into my bin :lol: i just wanted to know if they jump alot? i know all tetras jump from time to time but i didnt want to loose them all in a week.

2. chump54

chump54 Member

hey sam, I've had mine for about 6 months and they are a little skittish during "tank fiddling" but they haven't jumped. I do have a closed top though so opportunities are limited when not fiddling.

Chris

3. rawr

rawr Member

I don't think they are well-known for jumping a lot or anything, but all fish are naturally scared for some time when added to a new tank. I would lower the water level slightly if you can until they've calmed down. :)

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i've never lost them to jumping. they tend to stay low to mid tank IME

5. samc

samc Member

thanks for the replys

i think it may just be the new tank. the lught flicks on quite quick which i dont think they would like.

mine are allways in mid to bottom too

6. samc

samc Member

i seem to have a problem in this tank. i am down to 2 red eye tetra and 2 SAEs from 5 of each :?

i have moved them now as its really annoying me. i hate killing fish. i tested the water and all is normal. even had no co2 in and added an airstone.

any ideas????

7. rawr

rawr Member

Is it in a really busy area of the house or something and are there hiding places for the fish?

That's the only sort of thing I can think of if all else seems fine.

8. samc

samc Member

the tank is in my bedroom and they jump out when knowone is in the house. and they can hide in the stems that are there.

cant get my head round it :(