• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red leaves

fleabilly

Pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what these are... They stand about 8 to 12 high. Very nice and they grow well... my question is This... Since I brought them home and planted them, the new growth looks nothing like the original leaves, which were green and elliptical. The new leaves are red and longer and wavey. I don't mind, just curious if they might be growing that way due to some mineral deficiency.

Cheer

R

he8ybugy.jpg

Sent

This is an echinodorus species, the submersed leaves are never the same as the emersed leaves.

It looks a little like an Ozelot to me.

It's an Echinodorus for sure, and one of the countless varieties producing red leaves undrr water ( Ech. Rose, Ech. Bartherii, Ech. Rubin etc. etc.) surely not Ech. Ozelot, though, since that would have spotted leaves both emerse and imerse. The red coloration will fade with ageing of the leave, to green - but new leaves will start off red.
Sorry I can't determine your plant, but there are really a lot of red/reddish varieties........and new keep coming!!

Yes I think you might be spot on.
They do start quite red as they start, but do loose there red over time.
I was maybe thinking that it might be nice to plant them so that they emerge above the water line.

Sent

Really sorry to correct you Victor......... but even the Reni loose the intense coloration as leaves age. Good news is there'll always be several new leavs on their way, to keep the plant looking deep, rootbeat red :)

Mick.Dk said:
Really sorry to correct you Victor......... but even the Reni loose the intense coloration as leaves age. Good news is there'll always be several new leavs on their way, to keep the plant looking deep, rootbeat red :)

I was not that lucky then. Maybe too much light keep their colors on a longer term. Or this happens lately only. We keep it for years or so only.

Yes
As it turns out, it is the enchino.
I was contemplating planting it high up on a price of driftwood so that it can grow out of the tank.
The driftwood has manny cracks. Could I jam soil in those cracks and plant the enchino there with much success, or does it need soil? Or is there a way to contain the soil in the wood and keep it from lea hong out into the water?

Cheers

R

Well - sorry, mate, but your Echinodorus need plenty of soil, since it's a socalled "root-feeder". Placing it high on a piece of wood is therefore not benefitial:)
If you're after the red leaves above water - that's not very likely to happen either, sice the leaves produced emerged will go back to the oval, green shape you had when you bought it.
Sorry, if I smashed your ideas - but this is the nature of that plat ;)

No worries. Just playing out options in my head. Might try hiding a semi surface container of soil for it.

My tank is 40cm high. Toying with the notion of adding another 20cm of amphibious growth on top of that.

Back