• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

red line torpedo barbs (puntius denisoni)

John Starkey

Hi All, i hope someone can advise me please, i would like to add some red line torpedo barbs to my setup (i think it lacks some larger fish) i have been told that they do ok in co2 setups, but i have also been told they dont like high co2 and they may suffer as a result, i run my co2 at 3bps (bubbles per second) my co2 is very stable and never seems to alter only during water changes, my setup which is 5 x 2 x 2 aready contains 100 cardinals,12 rummy nose, 10 flying foxs, 5 golden rams, 4 otos, and plenty of shrimps it is also very heavily planted, regards john

I've seen a few larger tanks on APC with CO2 and Denisoni barbs in so I think you'll be fine.

I'm also going to stick this in the fish bit John, hope that's ok?

We added four denisonii barbs a few weeks ago in a heavily planted tank with Co2 and they seem to be thriving. They are the most beautiful fish and we got them for a bargain 4 for £30. Will check out the CO2 to see what it is running at (not my strength!!)
:oops: :D

I'm Lo77aine's other half and can help with the CO2 question, I was running 2 bps but have recently doubled that, I am using a JBL CO2 unit with diffuser. Everyone is happy, PH is now a steady 7.5 and the Denisonii seem to love it :)

Plants are green and fish are happy, can't make it any better than that :)

movement to fish bit

eds said:
I've seen a few larger tanks on APC with CO2 and Denisoni barbs in so I think you'll be fine.

I'm also going to stick this in the fish bit John, hope that's ok?

thanks eds, sorry for wrong placement regards john.

Lo77aine said:
We added four denisonii barbs a few weeks ago in a heavily planted tank with Co2 and they seem to be thriving. They are the most beautiful fish and we got them for a bargain 4 for £30. Will check out the CO2 to see what it is running at (not my strength!!)
:oops: :D
Hi Lo77aine, aquajardin near glos were doing them some time back for £9 each but they were quite small, thanks for the info regards john, oh thanks to your other half too.

These are my favourite fish, had seven and they did shoal most of the time, but then i lost all of them and all my fish in the 'Great tank disaster of 2006". I have only just recovered, but i will be looking to stock them again when i reset up. I did use co2 and it was heavily planted, but it was also a hot summer day...cant talk about it... :arghh:

Hi Ya Lisey,yeh i know where you saw those i agree they were so cute, i will read my book of tropical fish and see how big they grow,take care lisa,

regards john.

Not much bigger than the size you saw them at John. Beautiful fish imo and really appreciate a well planted tank such as yours - not huge fans of really bright light, but with lots of planting, maybe some floaters, they will do just fine. Males are redder/blacker and females have the golden stripe down them. Prefer softer water and IME need extra-careful acclimitization - I found this out the hard way unfortunately and lost 6 out of my initial purchase of 10 but tried again with much slower acclimitization and they've gone from strength to strength.

I keep mine in 5dGH, 3dKH 7.4ph, feed them a mixture of crushed flake, floating pellets, bloodworm, whiteworm, tubifex and chopped prawn. IME only the live foods will bring out their colour.

It's a poor picture, but you can see the difference in colour in males and females - the two darkest on the top of the pic are males, whilst the golden striped ones are females.

IMG_0755.jpg
]

ulster exile said:
Not much bigger than the size you saw them at John. Beautiful fish imo and really appreciate a well planted tank such as yours - not huge fans of really bright light, but with lots of planting, maybe some floaters, they will do just fine. Males are redder/blacker and females have the golden stripe down them. Prefer softer water and IME need extra-careful acclimitization - I found this out the hard way unfortunately and lost 6 out of my initial purchase of 10 but tried again with much slower acclimitization and they've gone from strength to strength.

I keep mine in 5dGH, 3dKH 7.4ph, feed them a mixture of crushed flake, floating pellets, bloodworm, whiteworm, tubifex and chopped prawn. IME only the live foods will bring out their colour.

It's a poor picture, but you can see the difference in colour in males and females - the two darkest on the top of the pic are males, whilst the golden striped ones are females.

IMG_0755.jpg
]

Hi Chrisi,thanks for the info on the pencil fish, i have decided to not add any more fish to my large setup but i am going to do a 60 X 45 X 45 opti white setup soon so i may consider some then,take care john

Hi Sanj, yes i did buy eight for £100, they are gorgeous,regards john.

Hi John, how are your barbs doing?

Have you noticed them growing?

I bought 15 small ones yesterday, so there just settling in at the moment.

Back