• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red lizard catfish

Steveb7

Today I bought a red lizard catfish brought him/her home to realise it only has 1 pec fin,just a bit of a stump on one side (nemo style).not sure if has been damaged or a genetic problem.dosent seem to bother it,hanging around grazing along the bottom. Anyone know if fins grow back or not?

Attachments

• 20190728_191410.jpg
    20190728_191410.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 245
Depends how far down to the bone it's gone,looking at the photo I'd say it probably won't grow back but you never know.
Shouldn't affect it much,if at all,if it doesn't :)

Judging by severity of fin loss, I’d guess it’s permanent
While it’s possibly trauma related, I suspect poor water quality during early development (rarely is this genetic when fish is otherwise normal in appearance)
As long as suitable tankmates, fish should be fine :)

Watch for any erosion of other fins (internal bacterial infection likely originating at “stub” site)

I’d request a partial refund from shop ;)
It really should’ve been obvious to staff and pointed out upon sale o_O

I popped back and mentioned it, said I could take it back if I wanted to but think I'd feel kind of feel bad if I did.ill keep my eye on it .
As for tank mates relatively peaceful fish . 1 steel blue killifish ,9 Phantoms, 2 sunset honey dwarf gouramis, 4 ottos, 5 amano shrimp and a khuli loach.

said I could take it back if I wanted to but think I'd feel kind of feel bad if I did
I’d mention a discount would be more appropriate given that fish is already in a new environment and it’s hardly fair on the fish to keep stressing with travel etc, not to mention netting out of an established tank which is also stressful for other tankmates

You can still do this, but request the manager or owner
And if you receive the same “return only” offer, I’d consider taking my support elsewhere

A full or partial refund, offer of an additional unaffected fish (if tank is suitable) - these are the responses I’d expect from a shop that cares for livestock and clients

Back