• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Lizard Catfish

CatfishAddict

Seedling
Hello everyone, newbie here!
Just wondering if anyone has kept the rather gorgeous (but rather troublesome in my experience!) Red Lizards?
Managed to get six of the beauties, lost 4 within three weeks. The last two did brilliantly for about five weeks so when the guy said he had some odd-bod ones (strange colouring, not quite Reds but catfish!) I got four to join them last weds. Lost one yest, one looking ‘not right’ today and a little quiet 🤦‍♀️
4A01981A-FA9B-4E67-8B7B-61DC831F2A40.jpeg

Original on the right, strange on the left! Sharing a romantic breakfast!
The original four that died I just found dead without any symptoms, one even eating bloodworms and within an hour found dead 🤷‍♀️ I’m finding these guys trouble but loved them for years! At a loss!

ph 7.2, nitrite 0, amm 0, nitrate 20.

Sharing the 110l tank with a juvenile King Tiger Pleco, 7 Lake Kutubu Rainbows (4 of them also juveniles, them and plec added 6 weeks before the original Lizards) and my little old Neon Dwarf Rainbow who’s been in the tank 11 years after losing his buds. 6 Endler’s Livebearers added at the same time as the ‘oddbod’ Lizards.
Rainbows are breeding like bunnies, everyone eats well.

Any ideas massively appreciated!! So tempted to pop in a course of eSHa 2000 in case something hanging around but hate putting meds in when no symptoms and the rest of my babies are ok! 🤦‍♀️
Sorry to blab! 😁

Edit, hard water area too :)

Last edited:
Well sadly woke to three dead this morning, no idea what happened. My original favourite Red beauty that has had no issues too. So that’s 8 out 10 that have passed away.

They’ve come from the same shop where I had them shipped from, originally shipped from where they were bred in Indonesia, don’t know if it’s their issue but I can’t see what I’ve done wrong. The other fish I had from them in April are thriving (but obviously not blinking Lizards!).

Certainly no more after over £200 on them and lots of tears and stress! 🤦‍♀️
Shame when I’ve wanted them for years!
Back to my beloved cories (or maybe Brochis!) I think!

Hi all,
Sorry to hear that.The dark one looked like <"Rineloricaria eigenmanni "> or similar, rather than <"Rineloricaria sp. (L010A) "> and much more likely to have been a wild caught import.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for your reply :)
It was hard to get a good pic of them close up on an iPhone in my tank with them being tiny in amongst plants but this is what I was sent originally of how they looked during quarantine before coming to me.
EBE4CB41-154A-4DA2-99A7-EEAA8243A27B.jpeg

Hard to tell they’re Rineloricaria eigenmanni from that pic with the strange colours! But obviously juveniles.
Was told captive bred from same place as my original L010a, probably should’ve set off alarm bells and I should have said no after losing 4 of the original 6 though! 🙄

Hi all, I think it is the fin markings that make them "not Red Lizards". Have a look at the PlanetCatfish pages, they have a lot of expertise on their forum.

cheers Darrel
Yes I was aware they weren’t Red Lizards! Why they were referred to as the oddbods! 🙂 Fins, tails and colours totally off, more annoyed at being fobbed off by what are one of the best fish shops in the country (and knowing the owner 🙄) being told they were captive bred!
Haha don’t worry, PlanetCatfish is a favourite read, thanks for your help though, much appreciated.
Becci :)

Back