• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Moor Wood - Care - Pollution

Paulo Soares

Good Afternoon,

As you all know (or not..) trunks do pollute our tanks. And so consequently also the filter, tubes and media get filled of waste/garbage that do no good for the system and clogs it all.

So i try to accurate some metrics that could gave us an idea on how much the trunks pollute and his effects.

So i use a medium size Red Moor Wood, that was boiled three times for fifteen minutes each and right after submerged in cold water to produce a thermal shock to eliminate any bacteria, insect, fungi and larvae egs or something else.

After that it was submerged in a 50 Liter plastic container for aproximately one month till it kept by itself in the bottom. During this time i change water every couple of days cause of the nasty smell and fat pellicle coming from the water.

When i realize that no longer exists smell or fat water i started my simullation.

Naturally using the same wood i put it in the 50 Liter container with a internal Sera filter producing 400 Liter / hour. So i have almost ten times plus than the water capacity.

Starting from this point i did two water changes by week of 15 liter each, wich is almost equal to the so vogue 50 % weekly water change.
I did this for two months.

Yesterday i took off the wood and chek the container. Washed some part of it so you could compare the level of pollution that is produced in the tank.

The filter was almost cloged. The media were just like mud cause during this time i never did any maintenance or execute anything to the filter, so that i could compare what would happen to an external filter without maintenance for a couple of months under this condition as so many of you do.

I´ve decided to do this experiment cause it´s been for quite sometime i assume that the brown colour on Lily Pipes, tubes, filter media, Difuser and Glass has to be related to wood and it´s not some kind of organic usefull to the tank.

Don´t know if there´s other methods for attenuate this but here´s my experience and this Thread for others to contribute and hope you realize the impact that this kind of wood has in our tanks.

This is one of the reasons i haven´t used wood in my last assembling.I believe in nature we might find wood that doens´t produce this kind of pollution.

I believe the photo speaks for it self and it was washed a bit.

Tronco_zps51hcbgbc.jpg

Best compliments to all.

Isn't cooking / heating the wood to long counter productive? As it damages the cellular structure which makes it rot even sooner? Which ultimately would only be extra bioload. I still read it a lot and it's very often advised to do so.. I actualy never did cook any wood i ever used, only some cleaning and rubbing and actualy also never presoaked it. And never had any problems like cloging the filter. Also don't know if pollution is the right word, if meant eastheticaly ok, but regarding fish health it aint an issue.

Tho i must say my latest aquarium i used quite a lot of Mopani wood and this wood realy releases heavy amounts of tannins, and after 4 weeks my tank glass kinda looked like your bucket. So i did the first half year 2 water changes a week and indeed a lot of cleaning.. Now after 10 months it's slowly getting less but it still is leaching. So this actualy tells me, even if i presoaked it, if it still leaching after 10 months, you would need to presoak it for a year?

I have my doubts with that cooking.. :) No real experience with it, but also no real negative experience with not cooking.. :)

Back