• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red plants

Scoops111

Hi, does anyone know of a aquarium plant that is red in colour, can be grown on wood and doesn’t need a substrate. Thanks

Hi, tanks not set up yet, just getting some ideas together, I will be using pressurised Co2 when I’m up and running. Thanks

Hi
Below is Echinodorus 'Reni' attached to the rock with superglue.
Obviously, this species is a greedy root feeder but it will survive when dosing CO2 and fertilizers, growth will be slower not having access to the substrate!
There are a few reddish coloured Echinodorus available!
Dennerle Nano Scapers Tank..jpg 2 marked..jpg
hoggie

Last edited:
Ludwigia sp mini red is one that will stay bright red without any nitrate limitation. Should grow fine wedged in wood somewhere as long as your water column dosing is good. I just wedge it in anubias instead of the substrate and it grows well. It’s one of the easier red plants providing you have co2.

Cheers

Thank for your reply christel, I’ve had a look at Rotala serpyllifolia and it looks a bit leggy for my needs, I’ll need something a bit more compact 👍🏻

To be honest I’m struggling a bit to find a plant that’s red and compact, I may need a rethink

I have no substrate plants and grow predominantly epiphytes attached to rock. But I grow a few stems in hydroponic pot for color by placing them up high and hidden behind rock to catch more light. Yes, you can glue non epiphytes plants to rock or wood, but it is unnatural and won’t last. It’s much easier to grow them in pots and hide them as if they were epiphytes.

Attachments

• DA1F60DA-9601-413B-A830-B6D97B567478.jpeg
    DA1F60DA-9601-413B-A830-B6D97B567478.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • 4D44883B-E41A-4E4C-A638-96044B0539A7.jpeg
    4D44883B-E41A-4E4C-A638-96044B0539A7.jpeg
    787.1 KB · Views: 137
I have no substrate plants and grow predominantly epiphytes attached to rock. But I grow a few stems in hydroponic pot for color by placing them up high and hidden behind rock to catch more light. Yes, you can glue non epiphytes plants to rock or wood, but it is unnatural and won’t last. It’s much easier to grow them in pots and hide them as if they were epiphytes.

Sorry to post hijack but how did you get your acara so big?!

Back