• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Tiger Lotus Bulb, & Black Beard algae.

Tallon

Seedling
Hi.
I recently received a red tiger lotus bulb in the post and all looked ok so I dropped it into my tank with a view of planting it properly the next day. Anyway the next day came and I noticed under the lights of the tank that the bulb is covered in what looks to me like black beard algae.
My question is do tiger lotus buls have a bit of a fluffyness to them, or should they be smooth?
Also if it is covered in BBA will it being in my tank for 24hrs mean all my plants will now be infected and my tank will be covered in the stuff soon?

The bulbs should be smooth. Take it out and see how easy the fluff is to remove, if it's easy it's not bba...

It's been out of the tank since the second I suspected that it was BBA. It's in a half half pint glass of water and it's had a spot treatment of easycarbo on Saturday, then a spot treatment of hydrogen peroxide yesterday. Very little of the fluff has come loose on its own during the peroxide fizzing, I have tried to pick at it today and it's firmly stuck to the bulb.
I contacted the seller I bought it from on eBay and they basically said, "oh yeah we know about that but it's not BBA it just looks like it..."

the seller I bought it from on eBay and they basically said, "oh yeah we know about that but it's not BBA it just looks like it..."
I’d be looking for a new seller ;)
though I’m curious what the seller thinks the fuzzy growth is :p

Aquasabi has a good photo of just the bulb
https://www.aquasabi.com/Nymphaea-lotus-Red-Bulb

As for your tank, just do a large water change and rinse out filter sponges - that should remove any potential contributions (from the lily bulb)

If the bulb is a good size and firm to pressure, it should recover - though I’d treat with just Easy Carbo or Peroxide (I’d go with the former (though I use Seachem Excel))
The algae should turn pink/purple and die back, if it’s well established into the bulb, you’ll likely need to treat over time, waiting for surface fluff to die back, gently rub to remove, then wait for regrowth (if any)

In the meantime, I’d try keeping the bulb emerse until it’s shown itself as healthy etc

To be honest I'm going to bin the bulb I think, and buy a different one from another seller. £4 loss, but could be worse. I've got Algexit by EasyLife, does anyone know if dosing the tank with it as a precaution would be worth it, or would it do nothing against BBA anyway?

You could put it in a jar of water and see if it grows, and whether it gets covered in algae. Then put it in your tank later if it looks ok.
I just don't like binning anything. :)

That's how it is at the moment. In a glass of water on a windowsill. I was waiting to see if the suspected BBA changes colour and comes loose from the bulb after its hydrogen peroxide soak. So far it hasn't. I may give it a 2nd attack with the peroxide and if it still doesn't look better I'll get a new bulb. I don't feel it's worth the risk.

Nymphaea lotus are heavy feeders, grown on in a glass of water, it’s only recourse is utilizing energy stores from the bulb ...
why not empty the water, add decent (enriched) substrate layer, plant bulb (leaving upper 1/4 - 1/3 exposed), dampen soil thoroughly, add cling film to top of glass ;)

Because it's about a day away from the bin.
Im going to give it a scrub with a toothbrush tomorrow to see if the fluff falls off. If it does I'll get a soil substrate and a light and then if it grows for a few of weeks without sign of bba it can go in my tank. If not it's a gonner.

Back