• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red tiger lotus not growing

Mattant1984

Bought 3 red tiger lotus bulbs from Ebay (aweful seller) and had them in the tank for over 2 weeks and nothing. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

One has now gone white, pretty much fallen apart and gone in the bin and the other 2 are looking like they will do the same.

any ideas??

Last edited:
Raise a complaint with eBay. If it’s a professional seller they won’t want that affecting their ability to trade.

So I really wanted to know is there a chance these bulbs might sprout and is the white covering that's appearing quite normal

Pictures would help. Before you bash a seller make sure the reason it’s failing is not on your end. It’s not a difficult plant to get going, but you also need to plant it correctly.

I brought a green tiger lotus bulb from eBay. I was concerned that it wasn't growing. I kept checking the bulb to make sure it wasn't going squishy. It took nearly 3 months for the bulb to sprout in the end. They can be very picky when they want to sprout.

Have you checked the bulbs with a gentle squeeze? When they are dead they rot off and become squishy but it they are still firm then there is a chance.

OnI had to chuck as it was soft but the other 2 seem firm however they are getting a white fluff covering them

I brought a green tiger lotus bulb from eBay. I was concerned that it wasn't growing. I kept checking the bulb to make sure it wasn't going squishy. It took nearly 3 months for the bulb to sprout in the end. They can be very picky when they want to sprout.
And everything I've read says they sprout really quickly 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

All 3 bulbs gone white and squashy so gone in the bin. Still no reply from ebay seller after 4 messages !!

Attachments

• 20221206_092938.jpg
    20221206_092938.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 99
Take them out the bin and cut them open....take a few pictures....the Seller will ask for image verification!!!

^

Does anyone has an idea how long does it take to first leaves to appear as it’s been a week now and nothing happens.

😐

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Does anyone has an idea how long does it take to first leaves to appear as it’s been a week now and nothing happens.

😐
A week is no time at all for a lotus. It can take much longer than that before it springs into action.

As long as the bulb still feels firm it's likely just settling into its new environment. Give it more time.

Tiger Lotus / Nymphaea zenkeri is a tropical lily sp. one of the easiest to grow but they still as all true tropicals do prefer more light ad higher temperatures than the average non-tropical sp. If the bulb still is healthy enough you could try to ramp up the temp to 28°C to speed it up and make it feel more at home. Usually, if requirements are met they are prolific growers. And if the light intensity is high enough it will start to grow floaters. Put the bulb on top of a root fertilizer clay cone/ball/stick is always a good idea.

If the bulb still is healthy enough you could try to ramp up the temp to 28°C to speed it up and make it feel more at home.

So I’ve got it right then.

Nope. I hadn’t . Just checked. 😅

I’ve ramped it up to 28 degrees now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back