• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red tiger lotus, nymphaea,

Kingyfish1

Hi
I have just set up a new tank and am having problems with this plant the nymphaea lotus.
It has melted all its leaves off, I did some research myself and found thay do not like temp change. Has anyone got any experience with the plant doing this. I am doing water changes every day at the moment as the tank is in its first week and dosing fertiliser. Temp is 24c.

I had one that was doing ok. I nipped it from the bulb and put the bulb into a different tank. The original plant continued but then struggled, lost all its roots and very much died. I put it into a different tank, wedging what was left of its stumps into the soil.
6 months on from wedging the stumps, it's grown large, and sent out runner and grown a further 2 plants.
So wedge it in, and it'll.likely be fine.

I could be wrong but I don't think you need to fertilise if the tank is only 1 week old as it's still cycling.

Re: the lotus, I've got one and I haven't noticed it being sensitive to temperature change. Ensure that the bulb isn't completely buried. I wouldn't bury it further than 2/3 of the way. If it's already planted the right way I'd still wait a while longer to see if it recovers before being concerned.

Expert at nothing, dab hand at many.

Does your plant have a bulb? Ι have one in 22° water and grows fine. What I feel has helped it is the rich substrate. When I kept it in inert substrate it melted all its leaves after a short period.

I have one with about four large underwater leaves and 6 floating leaves. Substrate is inert sand and I just chucked the bulb in the tank. I don’t fertilise. Temp is about 25 degrees and TDS 110ppm. Water is very soft.

it did randomly melt off two floating leaves but then just sent two new ones. I was told this is normal. I had been topping up with cold rain water so temp could be a reason.

other than that I don’t do anything special and it’s a beast.

regards
CJ

Back