• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Redmoor Rio Low Tech

Matt Warner

Hi all, I thought I would start my first journal on here as I have never got round to doing one before.
The tank is a juwel rio 125 which I've had set up as a high tech co2 tank for the last few years. I have recently moved house, so I decided to completely rescape and go low tech as I will have less time on my hands these days to do maintenance all the time.
I set this tank up on the weekend and I will post pictures later when I have time.
Here's my setup and plant list.
Juwel rio 125
Lighting: 2x28w tubes without reflectors running at 5 hours photoperiod at the moment
Substrate: 18kg of Eco complete
Filtration: being kept low so just have the standard juwel filter running at the moment
Fertiliser: Not currently adding any at the moment but will probably add some trace occasionally
Hardscape: A large piece of redmoor wood
Flora: Mostly cryptocoryne wendtii green and brown, vallis, echinodorus red diamond, sword, crinum thaianum, and some stem plants which I can't remember the name of!
Fauna: Lemon tetras, Xray Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Albino Corys

Plants are already starting to grow in nicely even after a couple of days.
I will add some photos later so you can all see.

Looking very nice :)
I'd maybe consider adding some floating plants or using an upturned reflector to block some of the light initially at least until the vallisinera starts trailing over the surface. 56w directly above the water surface may be a little too much for a new low tech set up.
I actually quite like the river boulders, they might be nice long term at the base of the wood?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Ady, I've got some floating plants coming tomorrow hopefully so that should be good. Will a low photoperiod compensate for the higher light level or does it not work like that? I'm going to keep the stones in there and move them once the wood sinks on its own. They were a bargain, I nicked them out of my parents garden lol! That's a very good idea with the upside down reflector to reduce the light level. I just worry about overheating that's all but I'm sure it will be fine.

So I've added some floating plants now which will hopefully cover the water surface eventually. Thanks to Kapk for the floating plants. I've also turned the rear reflector upside down to reduce lighting levels as suggested by Ady. Plants are slowly growing and crypt cover seems to be getting more each day. Hopefully I won't have too many algae problems.
I'll post some more photos of the tank later hopefully.
Cheers for now!

Hi Matty,
A shorter photoperiod wont really help as its the intensity that drives the plants growth rate, more light = faster growth = more co2 and ferts needed, hence lower intensity means less co2 and ferts needed so more suited to low tech. Shorter period with high intensity just means the plants will be trying to grow fast for less time, but would still require the food.
With regards overheating and the reflectors, maybe try only half covering each of the lights rather than full blocking one.
You may find the floaters and vallisinera enough once they grow.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi all, Just a quick update on my tank. Its been running just over a week now and the plants seem to be growing in slowly but nicely. I did a quick 10l water change yesterday to vaccuum up some debris from the crypts which was from the filling of the tank. The echinodorus have sent out a few new leaves, as have the crypts. Some floating plants have been added and are growing ok. All of the fish have seemed to settle in well from being moved house!
Here are a few updated pictures taken tonight. Thanks for looking.
9242523540_b6e20e6eb2.jpg
IMG_4273 by Matty213, on Flickr
9239738557_d092f315b2.jpg
IMG_4272 by Matty213, on Flickr
9242529528_199aedf508.jpg
IMG_4270 by Matty213, on Flickr
9242517340_0be3a319ac.jpg
IMG_4269 by Matty213, on Flickr
9239749963_2058fbafb4.jpg
IMG_4268 by Matty213, on Flickr

Thanks tim. Once the wood has finally decided to stay down on its own, I will probably remove that rock and attach some moss to it and then place it back where it is.

Reactions: tim
Don't know if it's the plants, your lighting, your photography, or what, but that tanks looks fantastically vivid, I love it!

Don't know if it's the plants, your lighting, your photography, or what, but that tanks looks fantastically vivid, I love it!

Thanks Rick and for all the positive feedback it makes the whole thing seem worthwhile. :happy: The tank is actually more of a yellowy colour at the moment because of the tannins leaching from the wood. I just hope it stays looking so clean and algae free like it is now. I will continue adding more photos as the tank progresses and the plants grow. Its taking some getting used to having such slow growth, as I've been used to fast growing plants with co2 for the last few years. I'm definately enjoying the more laid back, low maintenance tank though.

Hi everybody. I just had 10 minutes spare to take a few new photos of my tank. Crypts are still steadily growing nicely and the Echinodorus Red diamond is getting some lovely red leaves now. No real maintenance this week, just feeding the fish and water top ups from evaporation from the hot weather. Im quite pleased with the growth of the plants considering i'm not using co2. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking
9285691418_d8f08ecd6f.jpg
IMG_4274 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282922825_9a62a08987.jpg
IMG_4275 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282921295_63ace5b075.jpg
IMG_4276 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282919691_802680f12b.jpg
IMG_4277 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282918001_ca690384c2.jpg
IMG_4278 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282916403_865b7c6cdd.jpg
IMG_4279 by Matty213, on Flickr
9282914835_206eaf768d.jpg
IMG_4280 by Matty213, on Flickr

Hi Matty :). I love the look of this tank,...it gives an impression of a nice deep forest. The deep healthy greens of the plants & the black coloured substrate renders the entire scape a fresh look. It's going to be awesome once the plants fully grow in. I'd like to second Ady's & Tim's suggestion with regards to the future placements of the large stones & the addition of some small sized pebbles too. It's going to create a very natural look IMHO.

Hi Matty :). I love the look of this tank,...it gives an impression of a nice deep forest. The deep healthy greens of the plants & the black coloured substrate renders the entire scape a fresh look. It's going to be awesome once the plants fully grow in. I'd like to second Ady's & Tim's suggestion with regards to the future placements of the large stones & the addition of some small sized pebbles too. It's going to create a very natural look IMHO.
Thanks Faizal! I am probably going to do what has been suggested with the rocks and add some pebbles. Just got to wait for the redmoor to sink on its own. It seems to be taking ages to sink, anyone know how long it should take to sink on its own. I tried lifting off the rocks on the weekend and it was still very buoyant.
Thanks for all the likes and comments guys!

No set time frame I'm afraid. Some say it takes 2-3 months for the wood to get water logged. I had mine sunken in the tub for nearly 2 months & it still floated. I have finally given up on it. What I plan to do is to screw a suction cup to the base of the wood & just stick it to the bottom aquarium glass ( a neat trick that Alastair taught me):)
That big wood that floated on me in my low tech is currently being held down by the weight of a stone that is tied to it.
Give it a month or two ,..if not just see if you could spring tie it to a heavy stone that could be hidden into the substrate.

Hi all, just another quick update on my tanks progress. Plants are all still growing but very slowly. The crypts are really starting to grow in now as are the echinodorus. Fish are all happy and seem much happier in a non co2 tank with hardly any ferts. I have added some azolla caroliniana which is slowly starting to cover the surface now. Here are a few pics of the tanks progress. Thanks for looking.

Back