• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Redoing my 300L planted tank

dmachado

Well, after having my planted tank in total misery for some years, while successfully selling fertilizer plans to fellow hobbyists (!!), last december I decided to give it a makeover.

Aqua1.jpg

I had 20 kg Dennerle, some river sand and black sand in there. Took most of the black sand off, and kept the rest.

Then I used a big load of unfertilized potting soil I kept in a box outside for maybe a year - mostly mineralized by now, plus a big load of fresh potting soil, no additives too.

I placed the mixed soil in the bottom layer, then the river sand plus dennerle substrate I had kept aside, then a layer of washed river sand, then "amazon" sand as a cap.

I changed the CO2 injection from inline diffuser to a ceramic disc diffuser, about 3-4bps and set the 208w T5 lights to full blast. I set it to 5 hours at start, now it runs for 8 hours on weekdays and 9 hours on weekends. CO2 starts 5 min before lights on and stops 1 hour before lights off.

I use EI fertilization, with increasing iron ppm, maybe about 2ppm/week now, and also good Ca and Mg supplementation. The water changes need to be made more frequently, the usual problem... I'm lazy. But I try.

And I got this, from bottom to top:

Aqua8.jpg

It's pretty stable now. The "problem" is the required trimming rate, and the lotus' leaf size trying to take over the tank.

I'm happy.

Regards,

Daniel

Last edited:
What a great transformation 👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks!
I now recall the happiness that comes from a stable tank... This is one of the lotus all covered in bubbles after a water change.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 20.03.55.jpeg

I'm now growing a number of plants, including Pogostemon Stellata Eusteralis, but still trying to tune CO2 distribution and iron ppm.
I'll be getting more species in there soon.
Cheers.

Back