• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reducing light intensity in Juwel tank

Viv

I've got a Juwel Vision 260 that I want to reduce the light intensity on. Previously with other Juwel tanks I've just taken out one of the tubes but with this tank neither tube comes on if both aren't in. Raising the light unit isn't an option so I thought about putting a strip of tape along the underside of one of the tubes.

Does anyone know of a tape that will do the job? The tubes are T5 HO 54 w so the tape would need to cope with high temps as well as the humidity.

If anyone has got any other suggestions on how to reduce the light I'd be happy to hear them :)

Viv

I have the same problem and use a Juwel reflector, positioned underneath the bulb to shade the tank.

There is also a way of rewiring the ballast bar so that it only operates with one bulb, but this involves cutting into the bar and a bit of DIY knowledge.

*edit* Just seen Fern answered whilst I was typing my message :)

Hubby suggested I do that with the reflector! I'm not keen 'cos I'd get blinded every time I fed the fish. I suppose I could do this with the tube at the back instead. I think we'll leave the ballast bar alone! lol

Thanks for your advice :)

Viv

I know what you mean about being blinded.....when I put a reflector like that on one of my tanks, I just quickly turned the reflector around slightly so I could see what I was doing , well it helped a bit anyway!

I've turned the one at the back for now but I'll see about getting another reflector :)

I don't understand why Jewel started making them this way :(

Viv

Id ring juwel and complain about the fact if you take one bulb out the whole unit doesnt work. I had a vision 450 and took off one tube from each balast to reduce lighting and it didnt knock the whole unit off. They may send you a new one for free if you send a nice email

Yeah I did that with my vision 450 but assumed there had been a change in the 'design' - this tank is a lot newer even though both tanks are T5. I might contact Jewel just so they know they're causing people like us problems! lol

Viv

The Juwel units are wired like this as it is much more power efficient with electronic ballasts to wire the tubes in series. Only one set of high frequency tube drivers and electronic starter is required for both tubes. Duplicating the circuitry once for each tube will probably increase power used by 10-20%, as well as at least doubling the component cost.

as well as at least doubling the component cost.
cost cutting by the maker, now your getting there
Duplicating the circuitry once for each tube will probably increase power used by 10-20%,
bonus byproduct of cost cutting, they can advertise as energy saving too.
I bet they still cost around the same too

cost cutting by the maker, now your getting there
bonus byproduct of cost cutting, they can advertise as energy saving too.
I bet they still cost around the same too
Got me interested in cost savings.

A quality T5 HO 54W single ballast (ELT brand) is £36.
A quality dual T5 HO 54W dual ballast is £41.

Thus saving of £31, quite significant extra on £100 lighting unit.

Also single unit quotes 66W for 54W tube and dual unit 117W for 2 x 54W tube, thus 2 x 54W ballast consumes 15W more. 15W more is 15/1000*10*0.15*365=£8.20 a year more expensive to run. (10hours a day @ £0.15/KWh).

Thus dual unit save £31 initial cost and costs £8 a year less to run. Good reason enough for me Juwel's design decision.

Wow 2.2p per day and how do they compare on price to the old type unit?
I'd rather pay the extra and at least one of my lights stays on if a tube goes and you have the added bonus of been able to reduce light intensity when algae sets in without using pests like duckweed. Also juwel lights dont have a good track record, their ballasts are known for being short lived
Not much of a saving if you have to replace it every few years

Back