Reducing Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by johnny70, 2 Jul 2008.

1. johnny70

johnny70 Member

I have a fighter tank, separated into 4 bits for each fighter, got a journal here somewhere, its 24x12x2" and is currently lit by 2x24w T8 over tank luminaire, which is the only one I could find to fit, now to me thats a lot of light, photoperiod is 10hours a day. dosing homemade ferts and easycarbo. whats the best way to reduce the lighting, shorter photo period, take a lamp out???? starting to show the first signs of some algae, nothing serious(yet)

JOHNNY

2. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

I would remove a tube if you need to lower your light. Photoperiod looks fine to me. you have about 3wpg, which without high tech co2 and EI is going to cause you issues I would say. Halving your lighting is going to make life much easier for you.

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

And I'd start by reducing the photoperiod!!!!! I think the point is either should work fine.

4. johnny70

johnny70 Member

Cheers guys, I did have only the one lamp connected until i noticed(about 3 weeks) :wideyed: I'll take a lamp out, I dont have any really demanding plants in there,

this is what i'm dosing

The first is made up using 500ml of water.
    3tsp. Potassium Nitrate
    1/2tsp Potassium Phosphate
    1/2tsp GH Booster

The second is also made with 500ml of water.
    1tsp CSM+B Trace.

Dosing 40ml of each mix on alternate days and 3ml easycarbo everyday

Thanks
    JOHNNY