• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reducing Number of Tanks

Driftless

All of my aquariums are at my office and over the last year I have been reducing the number from 6 to 3. The tanks that remain are my largest ones, all three are heavily planted, 2 Angelfish and 1 Discus tanks, these are the tanks that I look at the most. I am not leaving the hobby, I am just simplifying it. I only wish that my Discus tank was larger, it is 75 gallon; I have my eye on an UNS 114 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Yes, at one point I had 4 On the run, but I do think one or two that you really like is worth more than loads that you dont feel you have the time to keep to the desired standard. I found myself feeling burnt out with the hobby. Trouble is, there is always more you want to try!

At the peak of my MTS I had about 6 tanks, but that becomes extremely exhausting after some time. Drains the fun so to speak. I currently have 2, and I think thats my optimum. Although I am upgrading one tank to a larger tank with sump and refugium, does that count as a third? :) But I have already been in doubt over tearing down the smaller tank as even 2 tanks is a lot of work.

I had mts bad at one point. It was when I was working in a lfs and there were lots of rescues of weird critters (marine hitchhikers). At one point I had 11 small marine tanks linked together housing mostly single mantis shrimps, pistol shrimps and also some Sepia bandensis. These were connected to my reef tank and I was gradually able to reduce the number as things passed on (mantis average about 3-4 years and the cuttlefish die after they breed, following a truely heartbreaking process called senescence).

Over the last few years I've really reduced things so I only have a couple of tanks. I think two is the optimal number because it means you can fiddle with one but leave the other to do its thing, which is normally better for it.

Reportedly, there’s a vaccine, but E=mc^2 works too:

E, estimated vocal response due to unsightliness, resulting in mental exit from desired number of aquariums.

m, missus’ or mum’s or any mutters of complaints, yours included during multiple water changes.

c, number of times others, non-aquarists, view your tanks with that look of disapproval because decor belongs not at fishshops.

When E approaches, utilise the N-1 rule; N being your given number of tanks at present as well as those you think, perhaps definitely maybe, you want to have after browsing through this forum.

Otherwise, N+1 all the way baby! Till space-time curves and wraps under all those dreams, our aquarium-weight.

Yeahhhhhh… I’m guilty of mts. I have 3 hi tech and 2 low tech and would really like to get to just 2-3 bigger tanks all hi-tech the intention being to have an iwagumi a traditional nature and something more experimental or 2 slow tanks and one topiary tank. The gardening side I really enjoy.

Back