• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reducing T5 lighting

Mikeyd

Hi all,

I recently replaced the two T5 bulbs in my tank for new ones as they were so old. However, since then I'm getting getting quite a bit of algea growth (its low tech so no co2).
Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas how to reduce the brightness of these new bulbs?
I don't have the reflectors on so I can't remove these. Only idea I've had so far is to put some bands of tin foil loosely around the tubes in stripes but worried they may overheat.

Go old school and reduce the lighting period to achieve balance

The tinfoil. :)
I never even thought of the tubes overheating, I don't think that's going to happen. Lots of people do this, I've never heard of any overheating problems.

If your lighting is in it's own luminaire example like APS or Arcadia can you raise it ? If it's in a hood perhaps change one bulb for a moonlight type. Adding a floating plant is a good option as mentioned

Thanks for the replies. Cant raise it unfortunately as its built into the hood.
Floating plants does seem like an obvious option but they seem to struggle in that tank for some reason. May be due to too much surface movement but I'm not sure :confused:

Back