• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reducing the flow rate of a Koralia?

nry

Is there any way of reducing the flow rate of a Koralia (Nano Evo 900 in this case)?

It is very powerful and I'd say is a touch overkill for my 60cmx30x30 tank.

Are there any things along the lines of inline resistors or equivalent that would let me turn it down a touch?

have you thought instead about a small internal? - will have less flow and some filtration ability..

or just a small pump

Inline resistors only work with DC current. I'm wondering if a rheostat will work for you. The kind that controls a ceiling fan's speed?

Probably best not to mess around and sell off that Koralia on eBay and get a smaller one :thumbup:

I have the smallest Koralia, the Nano Evolution 900.

Cover some of the inlet slots by filling them in and by reducing the inlet flow to the impellor you will reduce the outflow. Try something like Areldite glue epoxy and glue in small pieces of plastic. Dont add too many as, if you reduce the inlet water flow too much the impellor will cavitate and the pump wont like that :( This worked for me for a while until I bought 2off Vortech MP 10's only one word decribes these MEGA :D regards Colin.

The speed controller in the link and rheostats would only work with universal motors. The Koralia probably wouldn't slow down until the magnetic field drops enough to start causing the shaft to start slipping. To control the speed you'd need a VFD.

Easiest method to slow down the flow would be to take a bit of OHP film and block a portion of the vents on the front from the inside of the pump, perhaps using a bit of superglue to stop it moving.

Back