• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reed Sedge Peat

In the US this product is sold through HD as an aquatic soil for pond lillies etc. It’s composed of the sedge and sand, im assuming to provide grit and weight. From what I’ve learned, reed sedge is basically composted water weeds and is rich in humic acids and contains decent nitrogen content. I planned on using it for my rescape but was wondering if I need to mix this with some soil or some osmocote underneath would be just fine.

I'm not familiar with this specific product, but in Europe, similar pond soils are available mainly what is used for lilies contains Peat, Sand, and Blue Clay, lilies prefer soft muddy soils and actually all plants like it since it's soft the plants can root fast with little effort.

In 2017 i did build a small outdoor aquarium I gave a base layer of this peaty clay soil capped with sand and a top layer of gravel. And it still is up and running today. It grew plants like a champion each year over again and never added extra fertilizer.

dscf9381-custom-jpg.jpg

dsc_0326-jpg.jpg

10-19-08-jpg.jpg

I see no reason why it shouldn't be any good for a planted indoor tank... And I wouldn't worry too much about fertilization. Organic soils are pretty self-sustaining for a long time and fertilizer can easily be added to the water column if necessary.

A few threads with valuable info you might like to read about using dirt soils in planted tanks.

:)

@zozo
Thank for the reply! Yes I am familiar with Tim’s tutorial and have done soil before, just nothing overwhelmingly successful. My current tank has a soil layer underneath my aquasoil. It’s a bit of a jumbled mess under there but it worked.

I’m planning to incorporate this with some mineralized soil I already have for a rescape, and capping with blasting sand. Thanks for the tips!

Back