• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Referb and restart after 30 years. Low tech.

Photo time. Day 9 to 14, taken after water change.
I moved the Echinodorus 'Aquartica' forward a bit. The other two were going to crowd it out, so I made it the centre of attention.
Day009.JPG
Day010.JPG
Day011.JPG
Day012.JPG
Day013.JPG
Day014.JPG

Growth seems to have slowed except for Helanthium Bolivianam, which seems to be determined to grow lots of babies. There are now 2 on the runner. It's a bit of a trial truing to get it to go the way I want and not just take over the centre of the tank.

I really want a South American theme and the plants are all South American.
I was thinking:

Dwarf corydoras x 4 (2.5cm x 4 = 10cm) They would be the first thing I stock.
1630828575905.png

Then if I can get the water parameters to within what they need Ember tetra x 8 (2.0cm x 8 = 16cm)
1630828590650.png

Giving 26cm of fish in a 28l tank. Bit tight but the filter is well over the top.

If the Ember tetra's are a no no due to water parameters, then I will have to find another small South American fish.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi all,
I really want a South American theme and the plants are all South American.
I was thinking:

Dwarf corydoras x 4 (2.5cm x 4 = 10cm) They would be the first thing I stock.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think you would need much more structure for Corydoras pygmaeus. A lot more plants, structural leaf litter etc. They are also much better in a bigger group.

I don't think any really small fish would be happy in fairly bare tank, they are all more secure with more cover.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I really agree with @dw1305, corydoras need a minimum of 10 (in my experience, any less and they hide all the time and don't move much at all) to feel confident, and they also need lots of hiding places. Ember tetras are similar, they will be very shy if these needs aren't met which won't be enjoyable to watch. Really in a tank this size you should only keep one species at most.

The way you're thinking about stocking in terms of inches is considered a bit old fashioned as it can be misleading, it's now more about looking on places like seriouslyfish.com and aqadvisor.com and seeing what minimum tank size the fish you want need, how big a group they should be (some fish singles, some in big groups) as well as all their other needs/how they live in the wild and making sure your tank mimics what they have in the wild so they're as comfortable as possible. People on UKAPS also have a really good understanding of the needs of fish and can advise you with their real-life experiences on stocking. Some people don't mind keeping their fish in smaller tanks (or overstocking medium-sized tanks), and some people have more strict standards for keeping their fish (keep to a small number of species and give them as much space as possible + mimic their natural environment). No judgement either way, but personally I went from the first group in thinking about stocking (I wanted to keep every creature I liked in one tank) to the second group (I now keep a limited no. of small fish species in larger groups, in a larger tank) purely from experience - I have noticed the fish are significantly "happier" and exhibit lots of interesting natural behaviour when I apply those stricter standards, and I find that that is much more satisfying to watch and experience. There is much less anxiety in fishkeeping when I know all my fish's needs are met too.

I have noticed my fish are at their most confident when they're surrounded by big bushes of thriving real plants, big handfuls of dried leaves and dappled light from floating plants and hardscape. This makes sense because tiny fish like pygmy cories, ember tetras, etc, are so small, and thus everything in the wild finds them to be a delicious snack. They are naturally shy and need hiding places to escape into to feel safe enough to come out. Adding a few handfuls of leaves is super easy, will soften your water a bit, and just makes tanks look more natural in a beautiful way. I use oak, beech, catappa, walnut & my favourites right now are magnolia grandiflora if you have one of those in your area, they look beautifully tropical in a tank. I also suggest that you add a few more plants to the tank, I know you want to leave space for the plants you have now to grow but it will 100% make any animals you add happier now, and it's fun to try different plants. Another good option is some floating plants to dapple the light, animals really like that too, in the wild they have trees and plants dappling in the light and hiding them from predators. Floating plants grow very fast too, so you don't need much to start with.

Points well taken guys. Well I have at least 4 to 6 weeks to decide. I was going to get more plants once there is a better stock from suppliers.
I like the idea of leaves. Will have to research how to do them. I have a large oak tree in the graveyard at the end of my garden.
I have used the sites suggested and they all seem to give a min tank size of 60cm x 40cm. The sites seem to differ as to min group size.
According to one Salt and pepper cory will be OK in my size tank at a stocking level of 4. the other says at least 10.
One says I can have 4 x Salt and pepper cory and 8 ember tetra.

So now I am very confused and feel that my tank is too small for anything except shrimp.

The Helanthium Bolivianam will carpet your tank in no time if you let it, while the Echinodorus should easily hit 20-30cm height. Tropica Soil and TNC root plugs will provide them the nutrients they need to grow fast and big.

21 days old. Water test day and Day 15 to 21 pics.
No real issues this week. Bit of green stuff growing on and in filter but not anywhere else.

NT Labs Aquarium Lab Water Test Set
DateAmmoniaNitriteNitratePHCarbonate hardnessGeneral hardness
NH₃NO₂NO₃
mg/Lmg/Lmg/LdKHdGH
Tap water from supplier
0.25​
12.65​
7.58​
6.21​
28/08/21 after 7 days
0.50​
0.50​
10.00​
7.50​
3.00​
5.00​
04/09/21 after 14 days
0.20​
0.25​
7.50​
7.20​
2.00​
5.00​
11/9/21 after 21 days
0.50​
0.25​
5.00​
6.75​
1.00​
5.00​

Day015.JPG
Day016.JPG
Day017.JPG
Day018.JPG
Day019.JPG
Day020.JPG
Day021.JPG

Have a good week.:cool:

"28 Days later"
This week the breakout of brown algae (I think it's called Diatoms?) on the rocks, glass and spray bar has really taken off. Green algae (It looks like Green dust algae?) in the filter and on the spray bar suckers. Stringy algae on the plants (Some sort of filamentous algae?).
So Today I:
  • Removed the stringy algae with tweezers.
  • Cut off the dead leaves on the Helanthium Bolivianam.
  • Did 50% water change, giving the sub straight a really good sucking. I managed not to syphon up all the sub straight, by pinching the pipe to control the flow and allow the soil and sand particles to fall back down the pipe.
  • Gave the filter media a thorough splashy clean in the tank water I removed.
  • Did another 50% water change.
  • Gave the tank it's weekly dose of TNC complete, 2.8ml.
  • Did the daily dose of Carbo Elixir BIO, 0.28ml.
I went to my local fish shop to see if they had any Bladder or Ramshorn snails that they might donate to me. Just to try to reduce the algae a bit. I am one of those that think these type of snails are not pests but pets. I was hoping that I would get some free on my plants, but no luck. LFS expert searched all there tanks with no luck. Said, "That's just typical, we had a breakout last week.

I hope this Journal is being useful to the other novices out there?
NH₃NO₂NO₃
mg/Lmg/Lmg/LdKHdGH
Tap water from supplier
0.25​
12.65​
7.58​
6.21​
28/08/21 after 7 days
0.50​
0.50​
10.00​
7.50​
3.00​
5.00​
04/09/21 after 14 days
0.20​
0.25​
7.50​
7.20​
2.00​
5.00​
11/9/21 after 21 days
0.50​
0.25​
5.00​
6.75​
1.00​
5.00​
18/9/21 after 28 days
0.10​
0.25​
5.00​
6.75​
1.00​
4.00​

Nice to see Ammonia is going down.

Daily pics. day 22 to 28:
I like to step through them to see the plants are growing. It is a pity I have not got that software that matches the frames up. I can never seem to get the camera in the exact same place.

Day022.JPG
Day023.JPG
Day024.JPG
Day025.JPG
Day026.JPG
Day027.JPG
Day028.JPG

I really admire the patience involved in taking one photo every day and resisting the temptation to add new plants (I would have filled the tank to the max with plants long ago).

I found the maintenance routine for the Helanthium Bolivianam to be quite tough. Eventually I pulled the dying leaves out by hand rather than using scissors . As the plant grows, the dying leaves will be partially obscured by the mass of new leaves the plant is throwing out and I found them pretty hard to cut off cleanly without cutting the new growth by mistake.

It's Saturday. Time to bore. 35 Days later.
So this week I got my first animals in the tank. Copepods, Cyclops. Going in the right direction, water wise, as they seem to be thriving.
Went to another local fish shop looking for Bladder or rams horn snails to start on the algae, no luck. They just had loads of assassin snails in all tanks.
I might have to go to a bad LFS, buy a plant, put it in a fish bowl and wait for the snails to hatch.
If anyone around the Gloucestershire area has bladder or rams horn snail infestation, I would love to come and take some off your hands.
NH₃NO₂NO₃
mg/Lmg/Lmg/LdKHdGH
Tap water from supplier
0.25​
12.65​
7.58​
6.21​
28/08/21 after 7 days
0.50​
0.50​
10.00​
7.50​
3.00​
5.00​
04/09/21 after 14 days
0.20​
0.25​
7.50​
7.20​
2.00​
5.00​
11/9/21 after 21 days
0.50​
0.25​
5.00​
6.75​
1.00​
5.00​
18/9/21 after 28 days
0.10​
0.25​
5.00​
6.75​
1.00​
4.00​
25/9/21 after 35 days
0.00​
0.13​
0.25​
7.25​
1.00​
5.00​

Ammonia has finally reached zero. Nitrite and Nitrate are good too. Looks like I have a good health colony in the filter.

Another week to go before cycle is complete. Then I just need the plants to establish and fill the tank.
I am thinking of getting another plant. The HELANTHIUM BOLIVIANUM does not seem to be growing any more! Maybe it will pick up.
Looking for something to go along the back that only grows about 6cm deep, preferably South American origin. Any suggestions?

This weeks pics, Day 29 to 35:
Day029.JPG
Day030.JPG
Day031.JPG
Day032.JPG
Day033.JPG
Day034.JPG
Day035.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Hi all,
If anyone around the Gloucestershire area has bladder or rams horn snail infestation, I would love to come and take some off your hands.
I'm a bit further a field, but I have plenty. I'm working away next week, but if you don't have any joy PM me at the end of the week and I can post you some. They travel well in damp moss.

cheers Darrel

Ammonia has finally reached zero. Nitrite and Nitrate are good too. Looks like I have a good health colony in the filter.

Another week to go before cycle is complete. Then I just need the plants to establish and fill the tank.
I am thinking of getting another plant. The HELANTHIUM BOLIVIANUM does not seem to be growing any more! Maybe it will pick up.
Looking for something to go along the back that only grows about 6cm deep, preferably South American origin. Any suggestions?

Regarding your comment that the plant has stopped growing, Is "0.25" nitrate level suitable for growing the plants in your tank like the Helanthium? Maybe its adapting to a low nitrate environment?

South American and 6cm, here we go: Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
It is not as red in Low tech, but the colour will still be an attractive contrast to the greens.

Thanks erwin123. I will try one Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' next time I need to get some supplies.
Hopefully I will soon have some fish and the nitrate level will increase.

Hi all,
Hopefully I will soon have some fish and the nitrate level will increase.
Regarding your comment that the plant has stopped growing, Is "0.25" nitrate level suitable for growing the plants in your tank like the Helanthium? Maybe its adapting to a low nitrate environment?
You could try just adding a bit more fertiliser. There are a <"number of issues with nitrate testing">, because of this I wouldn't worry too much about what the test kit says and <"just go by how green the plants look">.

Are the tap water nitrate (NO3) values from <"your water company?"> The water companies values will be right and you can use them to calibrate your test kit.

cheers Darrel

Are the tap water nitrate (NO3) values from <"your water company?"> The water companies values will be right and you can use them to calibrate your test kit.
Yes they are. So I will test my tap water. Subtract or add the difference between test results and Water company values.
Then when I do a test of tank I just add or subtract from the value of test kit. Simple. I wish I had thought of it.

I really agree with @dw1305, corydoras need a minimum of 10 (in my experience, any less and they hide all the time and don't move much at all) to feel confident, and they also need lots of hiding places. Ember tetras are similar, they will be very shy if these needs aren't met which won't be enjoyable to watch. Really in a tank this size you should only keep one species at most.

Hi. I have 6 panda corys in a 340l tank and they’re always very active and visible and now spawning. Highly recommended as an option.

Regards Ian

Attachments

• CF090621-7307-4115-80E7-DEDF3E804C59.jpeg
    CF090621-7307-4115-80E7-DEDF3E804C59.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 140
I have 5 Orange Venezuelan Corys (including 1 gold variant) in my tank and they are super active too- they go everywhere and dig everything up. I have lost 1 tub of tissue culture Eleocharis Aricularis and 1 tub of tissue culture Rotala bonsai to them. My 24x filtration is barely keeping up with the stuff they dig up. 😅

Some of them also love playing with the Co2 bubbles from the diffuser. When it comes to feeding, they don't give an inch to the much bigger Denison Barbs

Back