• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reflectors- yay or nay?

Sacha

Having been told over and over on this forum that all of our troubles are caused by excess lighting, I am considering removing my reflectors.

The tank doesn't have an algae problem as such. However, the oldest leaves of plants like Ludwigia Repens and Staurogyne Repens (especially the Stauro) are badly affected by brown algae. I'm not sure whether it is a form of diatoms- it looks slightly different to how diatoms usually do.

The thing is, the leaves that are affected are all the oldest leaves, which means they are actually now quite shaded. However, I have been told that brown algae is caused by excess light (despite the fact that is is brown, indicating a lack of chlorophyll, and despite the fact that it only grows in the dimly lit areas of my tank...)

So I guess two questions: 1) Will removing reflectors reduce algae? 2) What causes brown algae on old leaves?

Cheers.

P.S. Tank is a Juwel Rio 125 with 2 x Arcadia Plant Pro J5 (28W each = 56W total) with Arcadia reflectors.

2) What causes brown algae on old leaves?
My understanding is that dying leaves are due to poor CO2 and/or poor light due to shading, the dying leaves leach nutrients into the water which the algae feed on.

So remove the affected leaves, increase CO2 distribution and try to get light down to lower leaves.

(despite the fact that is is brown, indicating a lack of chlorophyll, and despite the fact that it only grows in the dimly lit areas of my tank...)
Which software module in The Matrix has programmed you to think that lack of green color indicates lack of chlorophyll?
Does that also mean that red plants have no chlorophyll?

The Matrix is full of Klingons who worship at the Temple of Megawatts, so they don't pay attention to how plants and algae function.
It turns out that the mechanism by which Diatomic algae avoid being zapped by high lighting is to use groups of pigments in a class called Xanthophylls. This group of pigments are structured in such a way as to specialize in light energy dissipation.
However, these pigments are also used in mechanisms that help their host to survive in low Oxygen environments, where gas exchange is poor. So it's entirely possible that the location where these algal forms appear are an indicator of poor flow and poor gas exchange in the leaves at those locations.

Since the Xanthophyll Cycle operates under conditions of either excessive light or anoxic stress, it's necessary to investigate both possibilities.

Cheers,

Dipping into a new sci-fi franchise ceg? :D

Thanks for all the replies.

Can I ask, if any of you have experienced the same problems before (older leaves turning brown and disheveled), how was it rectified?

Turnover is 24x.

By improving CO2 dissolution and distribution and, at least in the short term, by supplementing via liquid carbon. A good trim to free up space also helps. For best troubleshooting it might help to see images.

Cheers,

IHi Sacha

I got the same problem... Algae (not sure which... Anyway an indicator that something is going wrong) in lower and older leaves.
I trimmed the plants nearly to the substrate and simplified the setup (got rid of some wood and moved some plants until I could see a gentle movement of the low remaining leaves)... And it worked (well the rest of the things were well adjusted, I mean good filtering, light, phone drop... )
During the last months I have realized that the aim of trimming is not just cutting the upper parts of the stem plants when they grow tall but maintaining the proper plant density and structure to ensure a good flow even if your plants grow more and more.
That's why I really appreciate good aquascapes more and more ... Once you face all this you understand that growing healthy plants under the water can be difficult sometimes, but achieving something that moreover is beautiful and matches what you had previously in your hand what most of us dream about.

Jordi

Last edited:
I appreciate all the responses.
But in the short- term, before I get the Co2 distribution sorted out, will removing the reflectors actually improve the plant growth and health? And reduce the risk of algae attacking the plants?

Sacha,
Removing the reflectors will increase the probability of health improvement by reducing the demand for CO2. Growth rate, on the other hand, will be reduced.

Cheers,

Thanks Clive. I will try and get a picture of the affected plants later today. Like I said, the 'algae' affects the oldest leaves. They turn brown and wrinkled. The brownness is a layer of biofilm (diatoms?) which can be scraped off with a fingernail.

So I'm guessing if I remove the reflectors I will need to reduce my BPS to prevent fish stress

So you're saying that if I remove the reflectors, but maintain the same Co2 level, that will improve the plant health? (But slow their growth)

Look at it like this; you're having issues, because, due to the amount of light, you are unable to provide them with enough CO2. Removing the reflectors, and thus lowering the amount of light, their need for CO2 will be lower, perhaps/ probably to a level that you are able to provide. So, remove the reflectors, keep the CO2 where it is, and see what happens.

I think I first need to find out why I have diatoms. They originate inside the substrate. I'll take a photo later today to explain. But they rise from the substrate and spread upwards to affect the plants.

I've removed the reflectors anyway. I'll monitor the fish for stress. I hope this makes the Stauro grow a bit healthier

Just to say the tank looks extremely dim now. Are we sure this won't adversely affect the health of the plants? The combined wattage of the tubes is rated at 56 but the tubes are over two years old.

Last edited:
Sorry the picture isn't clear but hopefully you can see the sand is black with diatoms

ezy3apu3.jpg

An affected leaf: (Ludwigia Repens)

ynaqa2y5.jpg

Last edited:
Back