• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

regarding the water for changes...

louis_last

i am considering replacing 750ml from my 20l planted tank every day with bottled highland spring mineral water as the healthiest wild aquatic mosses i have seen are in natural springs and it seems that the added minerals may be beneficial for shrimp, however I want to make sure that this wont create unhealthy levels of dissolved minerals in such a small tank.
the average quantities in mg/l of Highland Spring are :arrow:

Ca 40.5
Mg 11.6
K 0.9
Na 9.4
Cl 8.1
SO4 6.4
NO3 2.4

T.D.S at 180c -158
pH is approximately 7.8

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I also don't know whether the tannins from bogwood and leaf litter and the addition of CO2 would be sufficient to counter act the influence of a slightly alkaline pH? the catchment area for the spring this water comes from has been certified by the organic soil association so it is very pure and filters for 15 years before being bottled but i don't want to accidentally kill my aquatic mosses due to an oversight. cheers guys.

Those mineral values look pretty similar to tap water. I'd save your money...

If you want to add more minerals then add trace elements in a fertiliser. Much more cost effective. There are lots of reasons why mosses do well in wild streams and the make-up of the water is only 1 of them. I have great moss growth on the waterfall in my pond, and that's just tap water that's recirculated and filtered.

Louis,you're in Central Scotland also aren't you?The spring water is DEFINITELY not the same as our tap water.I'd say much more mineral content,I recently was without water in my shop for a while and had to use bottled spring water in my kettle.I actually had deposits on my kettle,like limescale,practically unheard of up here.

Back