• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regenerating Purigen?

Sacha

On their website (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html) we're told to use "regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach ". I am using Tesco value thin bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite 1.5g per 100g):

23stbgy.jpg

Will this be ok? Shall I soak it for 24 hours? Their instructions say to use a 50/50 bleach/ water mix. Since my bleach is significantly diluted compared to what they recommend, I'm just using neat bleach. Is that ok?

Thanks for the quick reply.

The "amongst other ingredients" bit worried me a little too...

I missed that detail. As long as it doesn't smell of anything other than bleach I'd guess it is ok, unless you want to hunt another brand of bleach to be sure? I've used Sainsburys without problem.

I've used this bleach before and it's been fine. I did let it sit in a bowl of water for a few days though, changing water every day or so.

I use the asda one, and its been fine, probably same supplier. after regenirating the purigen using the bleach. i then soak it in some seachem prime and water for 24 hours before putting back in the filter.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the bleach should be fine. I'll soak it in prime for a good 3 days anyway just to be sure.

Just been thinking. Bleach contains chlorine right. Not ammonia. Ammonia hurts fish. Chlorine does not hurt fish. It hurts filter bacteria.

So, am I completely wrong in thinking that in the event of a small amount of bleach entering the tank, the fish would be unaffected?

I've probably horrifically overlooked something here.

Yup, chlorine will give most living things a bad time. When regenerating purigen, I usually do some rinses under tap first to try and get the worst out. Then I do the soak in water with plenty of Prime. I think the instructions suggest a chlorine test kit, but rather than buy one of those I give it a sniff test. Do remember to agitate it so it can worth through the whole bag.

Sacha
Chlorine is incredibly toxic to fish, fatal at well below 1ppm.

I use the tesco bleach, until it is back to original colour, then rinse in running water then in prime. Seems to work fine. Important to use Prime, other dechlorinators do ruin it.

Anyone know how many times purigen can be regenerated? I have some that is over a year old, treat it about every 2-3 wks and still seems to work.

Sacha
Chlorine is incredibly toxic to fish, fatal at well below 1ppm.

Interesting. I was told that you can treat Columnaris by doing a small (10%) water change with untreated tap water (provided the tap water contains no chloramines). The chlorine will attack the Columnaris and some of the beneficial filter bacteria, but the fish will be unharmed.

Columnaris is caused by a gram negative bacterial infection. I have never heard that 10% "raw" tap water would have any effect on Flavobacterium, or anything else.
The disinfectant Chloramine T is reported to have some efficacy. I wonder if this has been misinterpreted somehow.

The level of chlorine in UK tap water is quite low, generally intended to be <1ppm when it comes out of the tap (compared to upto 4ppm in the US I believe), so folks in the UK will often get away without dechlorinating, esp if the water is left to stand for a while before putting it in the tank.
But what you referred to above involves very strong bleach and is much more likely to be toxic.

Dechlorinating water is so easy that I think it is not worth the risk of not doing it. Certainly anything that has been treated with bleach should be thoroughly dechlorinated.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the bleach should be fine. I'll soak it in prime for a good 3 days anyway just to be sure.
Just been thinking. Bleach contains chlorine right. Not ammonia. Ammonia hurts fish. Chlorine does not hurt fish. It hurts filter bacteria.
So, am I completely wrong in thinking that in the event of a small amount of bleach entering the tank, the fish would be unaffected?
I've probably horrifically overlooked something here.

Don't ever try this out. When I was a youngster, I once poured bleach into my brothers fish tank. The fish went crazy, they jumped out of the tank, and the ones that survived died a few weeks later.

I let the Purigen sit in a bowl of Prime and water for 72 hours and rinsed it thoroughly but it still smells slightly of chlorine.

So now I need to spend another £12 on a new bottle of Prime? I had to use half a bottle for this.

Maybe it's because the Prime is about 3 years old?

I've just used the Tesco thin bleach, soaked the purigen for a day (use old Chinese takeaway container), changed bleach soaked for another day, wasn't 100% white after second soak. Rinsed and soaked in water with Prime added for another day and put back in the tank. Water back to crystal clear.

I wouldn't of thought Prime would go off. Any left over bleach, provided tiny amount, will be quickly dissipated and react almost instantly with organic matter in your tank.

So a small amount of residual chlorine is ok in the tank?

Like I said, the bags still smell a bit of bleach.

quote="Sacha, post: 364647, member: 11362"] small amount of residual chlorine is ok in the tank? [/quote]Not chlorine, as used to sterilize water, but sodium hypochlorite. Are you sure the chlorine smell is not from your water supply (or the small of prime) ?

Any leftover hypochlorite will instantly react with organic matter in your tank and be neutralised. Organic matter, includes fish of course, but trace amounts shouldn't be an issue.

Okey dokey. Quick bit of data sheet reading, sodium hypochlorite is extremely toxic to freshwater fish at about 0.8 - 2 ppm. However it is very hard to get those levels in an aquatic environment as being so reactive will instantly react with organic matter in the water and render it safe.

Sometime added to water supply in upto 0.5ppm to sterilise the water.

Last edited:
When I regenerated mine, it smelt slightly afterwards no matter how much I rinsed it in tap and/or soaked in prime. I don't think it is chlorine, but maybe something else. Used it anyway without problems.

I let the Purigen sit in a bowl of Prime and water for 72 hours and rinsed it thoroughly but it still smells slightly of chlorine.

So now I need to spend another £12 on a new bottle of Prime? I had to use half a bottle for this.

Maybe it's because the Prime is about 3 years old?

I'm sure your only meant to use a teaspoon or so of prime sash?

Back