• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regulator Creep

John S

I've been using a D-D CO2 set up on a 60L tank with disposable bottles running at 1bar. Its has never moved from this setting regardless of wether the Co2 solenoid is off or not. Last week I switched to a refillable bottle. I have set the working pressure to 1bar. Once the Co2 goes off the pressure creeps up to 2bar where it remains until the solenoid comes back on when it quickly reverts to 1bar. I left the Co2 off for 2 days just to monitor what happens and it never goes above 2bar when off.

Any ideas what is going on here?

2kg re-fill bottle will back a hell of a lot more pressure than a disposable. so the settling pressure on shut
down would be what your registering would be about normal .....i would think...unless im missing something?

thingymajig said:
2kg re-fill bottle will back a hell of a lot more pressure than a disposable. so the settling pressure on shut
down would be what your registering would be about normal .....i would think...unless im missing something?

Thanks for the response. If it's normal then I'm not worried :lol:

thingymajig said:

200gm bottle, 2kg bottle or even a 200kg bottle will all have co2 gas stored at the same pressure. That is what your missing. :thumbup:

So you are saying that all regs will sit around 2bar when the solenoid is off?

Odd that I hadn't noticed it before.

Sorry I can't help more, I read this post earlier but have nothing else to offer. Just felt right to clear up any missunderstanding on pressures varying on capacity of cylinders. The gas is stored under pressure and that pressure is constant. temperature will affect pressures.

On the other hand. In the past I had 3-4 bar showing on my working guage, solonoid closed, nothing running. I just opened the cylinder valve to check pressures. Now it's running I'm at 2 bar. I've not noticed any creeping during gas off time, but I don't tend to check. My gas is on it's way out too.

Is it possible that you have 2bar on the working side but when the solonoid is open and gas is being injected the pressure drops to the 1 bar due to the gas working against the pressure when everything is pressurised? That would sound consistent with what I experienced when I checked my regs pressure in the past.

how many gauges on your reg , if one i think this is normal as when solenoid off it shows the bottle pressure but when on you are allowing gas to escape and hence lower pressure ( thats how i would interpretate it )

i have no idea then , 1 gauge shows pressure of co2 in bottle and the other shows working pressure , on my 2 gauge reg the co2 bottle pressure never really moves until the bottle starts to get very near empty , the working pressure is set at 1.75 bar and once the solenoid has switched of the pressure never moves on the working gauge,

it could be possible that there is a slight internal leak on the reg

freelanderuk said:
i have no idea then , 1 gauge shows pressure of co2 in bottle and the other shows working pressure , on my 2 gauge reg the co2 bottle pressure never really moves until the bottle starts to get very near empty , the working pressure is set at 1.75 bar and once the solenoid has switched of the pressure never moves on the working gauge,

it could be possible that there is a slight internal leak on the reg

That's the way mine was working on disposable bottles.

Back