• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regulator problem - help!

Saman

Having a bit of a panic. I attempted my first swap over to a new co2 cylinder as the old one has run out and when I tried to attach the new cylinder to the regulator (Co2 art pro-se) it made a massive hissing sound. It's leaking from the where the bolt on the regulator attaches to the cylinder and the psi is now stuck on 60 which doesn't make sense. I've attempted to connect it four times and still the same massive hissing. Can anyone shed any light on this? I assume something has gone in the regulator? The washer is still there but there appears to be no seal. Also, whilst I figure this out, should I stop EI dosing daily? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi @Saman, easy bit first. If you’re only going to be without CO2 for a short while and you have decent plant mass, I’d just carry on dosing EI. If you’re going to be without for a few days, then I’d halve the dose and reduce your lighting.

As to the regulator, presumably you are attaching it and then opening the CO2 and that’s when the hissing starts? Have you tried replacing the washer? I’ve known washers to get damaged in the replacement process. What type of cylinder are you using?

Thanks @hypnogogia. I imagine this will take me a few days to sort - maybe more. I have a decent plant mass and the light is at 70%.

Yes, so I attached it tightly as I'd done before with no problem, opened the co2 and I thought it was going to explode the hissing was so loud! The washer looks completely fine - no cracks. But why is the psi reading now stuck at 60? Surely it should just drop back to 0 when I turn the gas off? It's a 1.5kg cylinder - looks like this:

I thought the new bottle was faulty but after a long call with the supplier who was so helpful I used washing-up liquid and saw clearly that the leak is where the regulator attaches to the cylinder.

Just read on the co2 art site that the psi reading is probably because gas is trapped in there which makes sense. I'll get some replacement washers and see if that's the answer. I really don't want to have to pay for another regulator!

That it’s stuck on 60 is odd. Like you, I’d expect it to return to zero when the pressure is of. You might want to speak to CO2 Art about that. Is it still under warranty?

Here’s what else I would do:
Check that the fixing nut is going in straight rather than obliquely and therefore jamming before the washer engages.
Remove washer and then put it back in place. See if that makes a difference. If not, I’d replace it completely and try again. Failing that I’d assume there’s something wrong with the regulator. Apart from that there’s not much else that I could suggest.

Pressured gas and the loud hiss is always a bit of a worry - I’ve had it happen myself.

Just read on the co2 art site that the psi reading is probably because gas is trapped in there which makes sense. I'll get some replacement washers and see if that's the answer. I really don't want to have to pay for another regulator!
Can you release that by opening the magnetic valve?

Thank you - I'll check the warranty tomorrow and give co2 art a call. I've tried taking the washer out. Spent two hours trying to figure it out - definitely outside of my comfort zone with this. I should have tried to change the bottles when co2 art were open - I'll know for next time! It was so simple the first time. They advise powering up the solenoid and opening the needle valve. I'll try that and hopefully the psi reading is just an unconnected thing. Thanks for your help. Yes it was pretty dramatic!

Just to check, you are sure the leak is on the bottle connection and not on the regulator. After the nut there is a straight piece of pipe that is screwed into the actual regulator, the bit whit the knob and gauges. Has this pipe turned loose at this connection when changing the bottle somehow?

If it is definitely the bottle connection, check the threads on the bottle and on the inside of the regulator nut for any signs of damage or debris that is stopping you engaging the nut fully.

As far as the gauge issue, it it the bottle pressure (right) or line pressure gauge (left)?

Hi @DaveWatkin - you're totally right - this did come loose and really confused me. I've now managed to tighten it in the process of tightening the nut when attaching it to the cylinder. Not sure if that's right? Seems tight though. I found a new washer in my original box so I've tried that this morning and no more crazy hissing so must have been that? It seems to be functioning okay but I'll check for leaks later. It was the line pressure and I managed to fix this by letting the gas escape - it was just trapped in there.

Thanks @hypnogogia btw - you were right about the washer! The old one looked fine but then again I barely know what a washer is!

@Saman glad you're sorted. Always be careful when dealing with the bottle side of the regulator, very high pressures there. Make sure you always have valves closed to start with and open them in turn starting at the bottle nice and slowly so you can shutdown quickly if there are any issues.

Back