Rekord 70 Dosing

darthpaul

Having just setup my Rekord 70 with plants I was unsure about what doses to do for Easy Carbo and TPN+

Here is my setup

I had thought of doing alternate days, 1ml Easy Carbo then 1ml TPN+ but wasnt sure if it would be enough or not.

darthpaul

Ok thanks Aaron, will start that this week, just giving the plants a week to settle in before I start dosing.

darthpaul

Ok added 2 of both now and will add the same again tomorrow morning before I goto work so they have them ready for the light period. Its all confusing as its new to me and I have had conflicting advice about adding them now or not. Still trying to work out the best way to cycle the tank or if I dont need to at all as its fully planted. :?

aaronnorth

You still need to cycle. Plants dont give off ammonia (unless rotting!) which is needed to cycle a tank.
If you have another tank then get some media out of the filter and use it in this one to cycle your filter. Bactinettes also help.

darthpaul

I have a 120 that I have had for years but it has bad BGA and I am paranoid about bringing any media over in case it brings the BGA with it.

aaronnorth

It will be ok, causes of BGA:

low NO3
Dead Spots
NH3 Spike
Dirty filter

None of those can be brought over (except the dirty filter part) but that doesnt matter. JUst squeeze some of the mulm onto all the other sponges.

aaronnorth

darthpaul said:
Ok will do that tomorrow, so just squeeze out a dirty filter pad into the new ones.
yes, squeeze it out onto them, and then use the dirty one as well as. also transfer any other media if you have a bit spare.

you need a source of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive so either dose ammonia or get a fish from your other set up (or buy some!)

darthpaul

I have some black widow tetra's and they cycled my bigger tank 4 years ago and are quite hardy so could use one of those.