• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Relative newbie with an algae issue..

Matth22

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

So I'm continuing to have some algae issues after a bit of a learning curve with what I'm calling my first proper aquascape (had a tank with some plants in previously). I'm pretty sure I've got most things covered!

Pressurised co2 set-up, dosing EI, with lights on from 3pm until 10pm with a half hour ramp up/down.

Still getting algae issues on the Alternanthera rosanervig and the ludwigia peruviana.

I'm using an aquamanta efx200 filter with a rear mounted spray bar and inline co2 diffuser. I can see lots of bubbles all around the tank and the DC is lime green, but I'm wondering if the stems at the back aren't getting enough flow?

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any suggestions welcome

Pictures were too large to upload so I'll add some links in another comment

Matt

Hi,
A bit more information will go a long way:

Cheers!

What @bazz said .... and a a couple of pictures including a full tank shot! --- You should be able to downsize the images a bit if your uploading from a Mac or PC.

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

I'm struggling to get any way of uploading the photos. Says they're too large. Any tech tips 😆

I think I got most of those questions, but I'll fill in a few gaps -

It's a superfish scaper 90 tank, been running since early Jan using a already seeded filter. I've got really hard water so I'm using RO water remineralised to a KH of 7.

Ammonia, nitrate both zero. nitrates are around 40 which from what I've read can't necessarily be trusted but the fish seem happy.

Weekly 50% water changes due to EI dosing.

Inhabitants are 15 cardinal tetra, 7 gold lazer cory, 5 ottos and a dwarf gourami

processed-ce558028-e828-4678-9f94-ad0d3e82efd7_r01B9hxS.jpeg
processed-2f5d50e7-f6ac-4999-96de-006f8bb0ff97_jiGle7YO.jpeg
processed-ea2c7771-c9c6-44b0-8dee-348f91dd54ba_sZ0QAbLh.jpeg

Attachments

• processed-ddeddfbc-c0cf-4b97-bb16-a5bc5e4b19ed_EffGTjRh.jpeg
    processed-ddeddfbc-c0cf-4b97-bb16-a5bc5e4b19ed_EffGTjRh.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi @Matth22 I think this might be a flow/CO2 delivery issue.. its quite dense there in the back around the Rosanervig and they might not be getting enough nutrients/CO2. You might want to consider changing things around a bit to optimize the flow or add a small circulation pump. I also see algae on the rocks in the front (quite decorative actually, but perhaps not intentional). I am not a CO2 user myself, but I am sure some of our many CO2 experts will chime in.

Good job on the scape btw! 👍

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Matth22 I think this might be a flow/CO2 delivery issue.. its quite dense there in the back around the Rosanervig and they might not be getting enough nutrients/CO2. You might consider changing things around a bit to optimize the flow or add a small circulation pump. I also see algae on the rocks in the front (quite decorative actually, but perhaps not intentional). I am not a CO2 user myself, but I am sure some of our many CO2 experts will chime in.

Good job on the scape btw! 👍

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks Michael!

I thought flow might be the issue, but I'm unsure of how to change things around/where to put a circulation pump without blasting all the plants.

Algae on the rocks definitely isn't intentional!

where to put a circulation pump without blasting all the plants.
Sure. You just need a tiny powerhead that can be regulated so you don't end up with a hurricane in your tank. I am using this myself (which is shrimp safe as well) to create that extra circulation especially around the bottom and dense areas of the tank.

Cheers,
Michael

Sure. You just need a tiny powerhead that can be regulated so you don't end up with a hurricane in your tank. I am using this myself (which is shrimp safe as well) to create that extra circulation especially around the bottom and dense areas of the tank.

Cheers,
Michael
Where would you position it bearing in mind the spray bar is currently mounted at the back of the tank pointing at the front glass?

Would you change the location of the spray bar at all?

Thanks for the info BTW!

Hiya @Matth22
Adding a picture or two of the spraybar position and angle of jets etc might be helpful. 👍

Edit: no idea why I called you David 🙄
Meh, I'll take David. Been called worse haha

Pic attached. The spray bar is roughly centre of the tank about 20mm below the surface with the jets pointing directly at the front glass.

Attachments

• 20220322_204847.jpg
    20220322_204847.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 103
Where would you position it bearing in mind the spray bar is currently mounted at the back of the tank pointing at the front glass?
Often you just need a bit more oomph, and a tiny power head can often provide that... it can be hidden away... but let's see what John think of your spraybar setup (he is a CO2 user and an algae slayer).

Regards,
Michael

Brilliant, no idea why I called you Dave... its been a long day.
Algae slayer, lol 😆 I wish.

The spraybar does look a bit small so an extra pump could work, the extra pump would need to have its flow pointing in the same direction as the current spraybar (front to back.)

You could also look to see if you could get any extra flow out of the filter you have. Is there a lot of media in it, floss and the like? Removing some of this could well increase the flow enough to mitigate getting an additional unit.

From memory the superfish scaper tank comes with a fairly powerful light, is it running at 100%? If it is, lowering the intensity a tad might be beneficial in this instance.

Just some thoughts.

ou could also look to see if you could get any extra flow out of the filter you have. Is there a lot of media in it, floss and the like? Removing some of this could well increase the flow enough to mitigate getting an additional unit.
That one! All too often people jam-pack their canisters (or HOBs) with filter media.

From memory the superfish scaper tank comes with a fairly powerful light, is it running at 100%? If it is, lowering the intensity a tad might be beneficial in this instance.
... and adding some floating plants such as frogbit to provide a bit of shade.

Cheers,
Michael

Brilliant, no idea why I called you Dave... its been a long day.
Algae slayer, lol 😆 I wish.

The spraybar does look a bit small so an extra pump could work, the extra pump would need to have its flow pointing in the same direction as the current spraybar (front to back.)

You could also look to see if you could get any extra flow out of the filter you have. Is there a lot of media in it, floss and the like? Removing some of this could well increase the flow enough to mitigate getting an additional unit.

Just some thoughts.
Some good ideas there @John q

I have indeed cranked the light up to 100%, which probably wasn't the best idea. I think it's got a par rating of 269 or something thereabouts. I've got an inline dimmer/timer so I'll maybe drop it back to 80.

Media wise I've got course sponge and a carbon bag in the bottom tray, bio balls in the middle and a fine sponge and floss in the top - sounds like that's maybe overkill! What would you do media wise?

All else fails I might try and get a couple of nano powerheads and place them either side of the spray bar.

Media wise I've got course sponge and a carbon bag in the bottom tray, bio balls in the middle and a fine sponge and floss in the top - sounds like that's maybe overkill! What would you do media wise?

Initially I'd remove the floss and in a couple of days remove the carbon bag.
If the middle tray is full of bio balls I'd slowly start removing some of them as well, just depends if it's full or not.

You'll probably see a big improvement in flow by simply removing the floss.

Thanks @John q and @MichaelJ and everyone else who's commented. All your suggestions been really helpful. Will try some stuff out and report back.

Can't wait to come back and ask how to get the flow right on my 350L, 700mm high tank 😆. Ordered that before I'd discovered what a challenge that is going to be!

Waiting for some building work to get done before I can set it up and currently trying to twist the Mrs arm on a little betta scape in eldest child's bedroom to keep me occupied!

Back