• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reliability of Drop Checkers

skeletonw00t

I'm sure they don't mean much...

Mines always yellow & I dose EI yet I still get algae and slow growth.

Something can't be right there - I also have like 20x turnover in my tank.

all depends what water your using in it

I learnt bit about these other day

I was using tank water in mine till other day when i found out that's not very accurate best stuff you can use in 4dkh water which you can make yourself using ro water and bicarb soda or you can by a premix bottle of 4dkh water that would give very accurate readings

skeletonw00t said:

How much lighting do you have?

skeletonw00t said:

How much lighting do you have?
And the dimensions of your tank?

I have 2x T8 tubes - 25 watt each, my tank is a 130litre...

I know it's not a light issue though - as I am still getting Algae - which, if anything means too much much light & not enough CO2.

What ferts you using and how much you dosing?

What filter you got whats it flow rate?

How often do you do water change and how much do you changing?

What you Photoperiod on the lights?

Dosing full ie daily. I recently posted on the ei tutorial with what i dose (sorry i am on my iphone).

Photoperiod is 7 hours

40% changes bi weekly

Oh and filter rate is 1500 ltr hr & i have 950ltr/hr korAlia in there too :/

you need to up the water changes Woot. You have exactly the same lighting and set up as me. I don't get fast growth (which is quite nice after having a tank where that plants went mental). A 50% weekly will make a difference.

everything sounds about right

if your using EI method

Like Ianho said above try 50% weekly water change also cleaning any visible bits of algae of rocks and leaves and glass etc

You should see an improvment after few weeks

skeletonw00t said:
I have 2x T8 tubes - 25 watt each, my tank is a 130litre...

I know it's not a light issue though - as I am still getting Algae - which, if anything means too much much light & not enough CO2.

What kind of algae?

yea that can still cause your problem you could be removing to much ferts during your water change that would then make the co2 your dosing unusable to the plants and that's whats feeding your algae 2x 40% might be to much try doing 1x 50% or 2x 20% a week see if that makes a difference

80% a week is a bit excessive

from everything you put it all sounds about right this last thing i can think of

My DC does use 4dkh - ita from aqua essentials.

I am replacing ferts after the water change :/

Hi skeleton,
There are a couple of nuances here that you need to think about. BBA is the trickiest of all the algae types because it cannot be pummeled into submission. ferts have nothing to do with BBA so EI is completely irrelevant in this case and I see no reason whatsoever to adjust your dosing or to adjust your water changes. the bigger the water change the better. There is absolutely no such thing as too much water change....EVER...

Ordinarily, most CO2 related algae, like hair algae, can be beaten by simply adding more CO2, but BBA occurs due to instability of your CO2. This typically means that when the plants need lots of CO2 there is not a lot of it around and when they don't need a lot of CO2 there is lots of CO2 around.

So one of the ways to beat BBA is to carefully manage the timing of your CO2 application, so that when plants need a lot they get a lot and when they don't need a lot they don't get a lot. So first of all you need to understand, in that particular tank, just exactly how the CO2 is behaving. We need to know just exactly when there is a lot and when there is not a lot of CO2 in the tank. The only way to get a clue is to take direct pH readings of the tank water at various points in the day. A pH reading every hour, or better yet, every half hour from 2 hours prior to lights on until lights off. The dropchecker is too slow to be useful in this exercise and a pH meter is a handy tool to have.

Generally the CO2 profile in the tank should be something like this:
2 hours prior to lights on - pH at it's maximum daily value => Turn gas ON.
1 hour prior to lights on - ph drops 0.5 units below maximum daily value.
Lights on - pH is at it's lowest daily value, approximately 1 unit below maximum daily value.
1 hour after lights on - pH is slightly above lowest daily value.

The above is an ideal scenario but it's very difficult to achieve. Often, if you are able to drive the CO2 to nearly it's maximum value (pH near it's minimum value) by lights on, the injection rate will continue to drive the pH downwards so that the fish begin to suffer. Maximum CO2 (which causes minimum pH) is required at lights on. A few hours prior to lights OFF, the plants start to drop offline and they do not need as much CO2. Many tanks have trouble in that they do not reach their maximum CO2 until several hours after lights on, and this causes problems, both for plants and fish.

Apart from your CO2 timing you also need to review the distribution of your flow to ensure that you have an even and strong flow across the entire tank. It may help to daily dose liquid carbon products in the mornings to help with the CO2 availability at that time.

By the time you fix the BBA the diatoms will also have been fixed.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg, great response as usual!

The problem i have is that my CO2 is on 24/7 an the DC is always yellow. Its by DiY FE through an inline difuser. So really there shouldnt be an issue with stability?

Am i right in thinking that bba algae will not just go away on its own even if conditions are right? And that more co2 could actually help it grow? Anyway i've ordered some liquid carbon to try to nuke it.

Just really don't know why i am not getting strong plant growth even with my high amounts of co2.

I am sure its because the bubbles are too big through the boyu diffuser - but the bubbles in the water are enough to trigger the DC to turn yellow - if this makes sense?

Tom

Well, like all algae, BBA love CO2 just as much as plants do. But having CO2 24/7 means nothing if the output of your CO2 device is unstable, which DIY CO2 techniques usually tend to be. You still need to look at the concentration profile of the tank as a function of time in order to give you a clue of when the CO2 is at it's highest, medium and lowest levels.

The problem is not that BBA love CO2, but that that BBA do not care about whether the CO2 is stable or not, while plants do care and suffer if it is not stable. BBA in a way can sense whether or not the plants are responding well to the CO2 profile. Think of BBA and any algae in the same way that you think of predators such as lions or wolves. If the prey is healthy then the predator will not attack, but if they can determine that the prey is weakened and vulnerable then they attack immediately.

You are correct n that BBA tends not to go away even if you improve conditions so you need to evict it from the tank, normally with liquid carbon and/or a lot of elbow grease, however, if you have not improved CO2 stability, then it will return with a vengeance.

You need to look at the CO2 profile by taking the pH measurements first and foremost. You might discover something you were unaware of.

Cheers,

Back