• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remineralizing a planted tank

Can someone suggest a remineralizer salt that doesn't increase KH. I need zero KH
GH Booster will not increase KH, you can see the ingredients in one of my previous posts:
Gh Booster is a 1:3:3 mixture of Magnesium Sulfate ( MgSO4), Potassium Sulfate ( K2so4) and Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4)

No chance calcium chloride or magnesium sulphate would raise the KH.
Things on the net seem to have an each way bet some say it will others saying it won't.

Dirk

No chance calcium chloride or magnesium sulphate would raise the KH.
Things on the net seem to have an each way bet some say it will others saying it won't.

Dirk
KH is carbonate hardness, so it would be magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate that raise KH, I think.

Sorry to hijack a thread but no point asking a nearly identical question in a new thread.

I'm incredibly lazy with my water chemistry, as in, I just want to buy a product that works. Are there any products I can add to my RO on water change to achieve the required KH/GH without having to go full chemist on my tank? I don't mind working out dosing, I'm just not one for using "raw ingredients".

I have been using Seachem Replenish for a while, aiming for TDS of 120, but I hear the replenish won't give me everything I need to buffer the water correctly.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack a thread but no point asking a nearly identical question in a new thread.

I'm incredibly lazy with my water chemistry, as in, I just want to buy a product that works. Are there any products I can add to my RO on water change to achieve the required KH/GH without having to go full chemist on my tank? I don't mind working out dosing, I'm just not one for using "raw ingredients".

I have been using Seachem Replenish for a while, aiming for TDS of 120, but I hear the replenish won't give me everything I need to buffer the water correctly.
Yes, Saltyshrimp is one such product. Another would be Re-mineral by Tropic Marin. The latter even do one that gets it right for Discus, and one for general community tank.

Great, thanks. A quick google of Saltyshrimp says GH+ should be adequate? I'd like to keep my water a little soft if possible for my Rotala Wallichi in my main tank, so I gather raising KH isn't so necessary? My ADA45f only has a pea puffer in it but I also feel the mosses which name escapes me would probably appreciate the softer water too.

My tank with shrimp in it has only a MC carpet and some Montevidensis, so I could raise KH in there if it helps?

I'm completely baffled by this whole GH/KH thing, but after measuring my tap water at TDS >480 I decided to make the swap as I really wanted that Wallichi stem backdrop :D I know Green Aqua aim for a TDS of 120, which I've achieved using RO/Replenish over the last few weeks, but I gather this doesn't change KH so I am risking pH swings? I assume you can't raise KH to have more stable water, yet maintain a pH of 7?

Hi all,
I know Green Aqua aim for a TDS of 120, which I've achieved using RO/Replenish over the last few weeks, but I gather this doesn't change KH so I am risking pH swings? I assume you can't raise KH to have more stable water, yet maintain a pH of 7?
You have to remember the fertilisers you add will also contribute to the TDS reading.

You are right, it is the <"dKH that stabilises pH">, and as your water gets softer pH becomes both more variable and less meaningful. Once you've added more than about 2dKH your water will equilibriate at ~pH7.8 due to the <"CO2 ~ dHCO3- relationship">. I'd just ignore pH, it isn't that it isn't important, it is just it isn't a straightforward measurement.
I'm completely baffled by this whole GH/KH thing, but after measuring my tap water at TDS >480 I decided to make the swap as I really wanted that Wallichi stem backdrop
Just add the plant nutrients to the RO water, <"don't add any remineralising salts">. If you want to add a minimal amount of <"calcium (Ca) and dGH / dKH">? Add a <"dash of tap water">. You are going to be adding magnesium (Mg) with your fertilisers.

Ignore trying to get a <"perfect" calcium : magnesium ratio"> etc. Find a conductivity range and nutrient range where Rotala wallichii is happy and stick with that.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
Out of interest, will this approach be OK if keeping shrimps?
l'd guess it will depend on the shrimp. Cherry shrimps don't like very soft water, and I' ve not kept Amano or Crystal Red shrimp.
Personally if I go back to keeping Cherry shrimp, I'd keep them in our tap water (~ 17 dGH, dKH) with <"some hard water snails">.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
There is a very good article on this site about keeping crystal reds. I am flat out at the moment but if you do a search on crystal reds it should pop up or some good soul will link it for you.

Dirk.

Back