• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing braces from aquarium

What about removing the brace from a Clearseal them re-attaching it higher up?
Want to do this so i can use the brace as a support for some perspex to catch condensation and i can get a higher water line.

JAmesM said:
I'm saving for an Opti-White too.. shop around though, AE and TGM aren't the only places that sell them. My 36x24x24" 10mm Opti-White tank will cost £240 + delivery, or £425 + delivery complete with custom made cabinet and hood, which is still cheaper than AE and TGM for the tank only! :lol:

Hi James, is it the price for the tank all sides in optiwhite or only the front panel? If its not secret:) which company will be making it? I'm thinking of ordering braceless 36x15x15" in optiwhite all sides and the cheapest price i could find so far is £300 :oops:

That is £300 in 10mm glass, but then i consulted a very reputable tank builder here in UK and they said in normal glass for my proposed dimensions for the braceless tank it has to be 12mm glass no less!... And then I remember hearing that optiwhite glass is less strong than normal glass, not sure if its true?? In optiwhite 12mm the price climbs to £500 :eek:

:?:

I think opti-white glass has a lower iron content, so may well be weaker than "normal" glass.

Regarding Aquariums Ltd, I'm wondering if they're struggling under the volume of orders/interest at the moment. They've had a lot of publicity over the last few months from various sources.

chat said:
JAmesM said:
I'm saving for an Opti-White too.. shop around though, AE and TGM aren't the only places that sell them. My 36x24x24" 10mm Opti-White tank will cost £240 + delivery, or £425 + delivery complete with custom made cabinet and hood, which is still cheaper than AE and TGM for the tank only! :lol:

Hi James, is it the price for the tank all sides in optiwhite or only the front panel? If its not secret:) which company will be making it? I'm thinking of ordering braceless 36x15x15" in optiwhite all sides and the cheapest price i could find so far is £300 :oops:

That is £300 in 10mm glass, but then i consulted a very reputable tank builder here in UK and they said in normal glass for my proposed dimensions for the braceless tank it has to be 12mm glass no less!... And then I remember hearing that optiwhite glass is less strong than normal glass, not sure if its true?? In optiwhite 12mm the price climbs to £500 :eek:

:?:
The price is for 4 sides opti-white - the base is standard float glass though.

10mm should be fine - ADA tanks are 10mm or less on sizes upto 2ft in height and 6ft in length iirc.

I'm still working on buying tanks in bulk from my supplier, so I'm keeping details away from the public eye atm ;)

beeky said:
Regarding Aquariums Ltd, I'm wondering if they're struggling under the volume of orders/interest at the moment. They've had a lot of publicity over the last few months from various sources.
I've been to their place and looking at the space, equipment and knowlage that they have i'd be supprised if they couldn't supply the demand but i know they are in the process of moving premisis to allow for a propper showroom, also i know the email has been down for a while, plus the website is being updated so that might have something to do with it.
I've just got a 30 x 30 x 30 optiwhite from them and i'm not messing, i've seen ADA Cube Gardens and it's EXACTLY the same if not better IMO, there is literally NO silicone, it's a stunning piece of craftsmanship. (i realise that you can't always have it like that fine on a larger tank though)
Drop them another line mate, i'm sure they would be gutted if they thought, that you thought, that they were ignoring you?
Cheers
Dan

I emailed them for a quote aswell but got no reply. I rang them today though and the person I spoke to was extremely helpful and also mentioned ukaps which gives her a thumbs up imo :D

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm wondering... Anyone think a 30" (75cm) clearseal (30lx12wx15h) will cope without it's braces? I have a fluval 80cm which doesn't have any, and it's fine. I'm not sure on glass thickness though (it looks about 6mm).

I'm assuming yes but you know, second opinions and all ;)

Back