• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing built up limescale on glass (empty tank)

pollyandpear

The tank (empty) I've been given has quite a bit of built up limescale , I am trying to clean the glass with a knife blade but wandered if there was something better to remove the limescale with - and perhaps something to break it down?

I haven't even started setting up the aquariums so want the tank clean first.

I just tend to use some white vinegar, either dabbed on or sprayed. You can dilute it in water if you have a lot to do and let it soak on for a while. I don't use blades on tanks unless I wet the tank first as it can cause scratches, whereas a little water/vinegar helps the blade move without catching.

Edit, typing at the same time as Andy. I use neat vinegar or water it down a bit if it's only a lite build up of scale.

Thank you - have bought some. Yes the aquarium was wet when I scraped at it but the limescale is just stuck and looks nasty!

Try this method below....you can also use Toilet Roll Paper to spray and leave on!

When the lime scale is not removed regularly and long enough on the glass it can kinda etch into it... If you go at it with a scraper blade and some vinegar after this and you still see a faint frosted staining no matter how often you rub it with vinegar it might be something permanent. Gone when it's wet and back again when it's dry... I also experienced this in several cases...

We have Acids and Bases, both can etch, Calcium is a base and can leave permanent damage.

Unfortunately, limescale marks around the rim of an aquarium are a fact of life in hard water areas. I've had several tanks in the past that ended up like those described above by Marcel @zozo, permanently ingrained with a white calcium carbonate residue.

I've tried all sorts to remove it, citric acid, white vinegar, Cillit Bang, limescale bleach, various products based on hydrochloric acid like alloy wheel cleaner, and brick cleaner, and a stanley knife blade and muriatic acid. But there was invariably a slight residue left. I had to learn to live with it, but I guess if you can't there is always RO water.

Ah no worries. I have bought a big 5 litre bottle of white vinegar to get the worse off and and have soaked a towel in the vinegar and have it against the side of the tank and moving it round. Then will thoroughly wash out with water and set tank up later. A bit of limescale doesn't hurt and as you say, London hard water means limescale is a part of life!

Hi Polyandpear. I see you bought vinegar - Just adding my experience into the mix too.
I agree with the Kilrock K, really effective stuff - Formic Acid - I believe wasps and ants use it in defence and stings. Beware of the nasty fumes though anyone using it, it's not nice getting a sniff of it. Don't get it on towels, clothes or anything you care about, that's organic (other than your tank equipment). I used it extensively with my previous marine tank equipment. Cheap from most DIY providers.

Back