• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing Neon Tetra Disease From Aquarium

Coys

I have an outbreak of what I believe to be neon tetra disease in my 240 litre aquarium. So far I've lost a number of neons and silvertips and one diamond tetra. I euthanised another three neons yesterday.

Typically the fish either lose weight and develop a wonky spine or develop a white patch at the caudal peduncle, which eventually becomes a lump on both sides if I don't euthanise them before they get to that stage. I believe that both are symptoms of NTD.

I know (or believe) that the disease is incurable once a fish is infected and that it is not restricted to neons (the silvertips and diamond attest to this), but I need to know how to a) stop it spreading to other healthy fish and b) how to eradicate it. Am I correct in believing that it only spreads through a fish eating a dead infected fish so an outbreak can be halted by removing each infected fish s soon as possible, or do the parasites go through a free-swimming stage before the illness becomes apparent?

I have an outbreak of what I believe to be neon tetra disease in my 240 litre aquarium. So far I've lost a number of neons and silvertips and one diamond tetra. I euthanised another three neons yesterday.

Typically the fish either lose weight and develop a wonky spine or develop a white patch at the caudal peduncle, which eventually becomes a lump on both sides if I don't euthanise them before they get to that stage. I believe that both are symptoms of NTD.

I know (or believe) that the disease is incurable once a fish is infected and that it is not restricted to neons (the silvertips and diamond attest to this), but I need to know how to a) stop it spreading to other healthy fish and b) how to eradicate it. Am I correct in believing that it only spreads through a fish eating a dead infected fish so an outbreak can be halted by removing each infected fish s soon as possible, or do the parasites go through a free-swimming stage before the illness becomes apparent?

I suspect that I also have this in my tank too mate as I too have seen little white lump on and off, but not the wonky spine.

Odd deaths of mostly these species has occurred, but I also lost an Otto the other day randomly which could be totally unrelated.

I think from the other thread you want to get the fish out into a quarantine tank ASAP with clean water and a small filter without much current, and keep an eye on them.

I hear minor aquarium salts added can help them in their battle but unsure of any real cures for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does one fish swim off as if in a mood? I have observed this also and my Rummy Nose also have been exhibiting the same thing.

Yes, usually they do. They generally keep feeding until the disease is advanced though.

Exactly the same with mine...

Fish shop deny all knowledge but it certainly came from somewhere...

It's either/or in my case; I haven't seen wonky spine AND white patch/lump on a single fish.

I found one with tiny white little bugs on breaking the body down in my sump, and another after just a day with almost the body wasted away just as it states online.

Quite. I must admit that I've often seen fish in stores with wonky spines and I've assumed that they were just genetic deformities, but I'm now having second thoughts.

Likewise. And stores claiming higher ground from not using inline filter systems to prevent disease, like where I buy from. Yet some of the inline ones I’ve visited have had killer UV setups going on which likely nuke more than any of their single tanks would.

Back