• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing snails safely

andusbeckus

I’ve been so careful but somehow snails have managed to infrst my aquarium.

At first I was seeing the odd few and I would squish them for the fish to eat remove them by hand.

Now there are loads and I need a safe way to remove them without harming my shrimp so snail eaters are out of the question.

Whats they best method of control?

Learn to love the snails :happy: I have some in mine but they don't do any harm (aside from looking a little untidy on the front glass).
If they bother you then reduce the amount of food & vacuum your tank.

Last edited:
If you really need to squish them you need to group them together first. On my tank I attached Anubias plant on a airline sucker emerging from the water on a corner of the front glass if you wait till the light comes on they gather in the shade of the Anubias you can then user an old credit card & a vacuum to remove loads at once. You won't need to 'squish' them just remove.

The best way to fight a snail outbreak is to feed less and do better maintenance in the tank. Snails eat algae, dead leaves, dead critters, fish poop & food leftovers... your problem about this is, so do Shrimp...

Fight fire with fire...
Assassin Snails... Or do those kill shrimp as well?

Get a handful of assassin snails - 4 of them keep my MTS population at an okay level. I often see all four of them chowing down on one MTS with the my Amano shrimp sharing in the feast.

The rest I siphon out at water change.

I have dwarf puffer fish that keep the snail population in check. Do they also eat shrimp? Not sure.

Back