Rena Tank Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by misscaretaker, 6 Sep 2008.

1. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Hi, my new (to me anyway!) Rena 210l tank has a lighting unit that slides back and forth on runners attached to the sides of the tank. The tubes are T8s, 1x30w and 1 which I can't read as the info is underneath and the tube is hot! It's a different colour to the other one. Anyway, with these lights, I only get 0.9 wpg and the tank is quite deep (18" from lights to substrate) so I imagine the 0.9 will be even less at the bottom. How can I increase the lighting with this "movable" set-up? The lid is 3 sections of flat metal so I can't attach anything to that...
    Anyone have experience with this lighting unit?

2. bugs

bugs Member

If it's anything like the Rena tank I have you should be able to buy another slidy Rena unit and slide it in to the same slides as the current unit.

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

how wide is the tank? ive got a rena 300. its 1.2 m long. i dont use the lighting bar on mine (i use arcadia luminaire) because the tank was too deep for t8 lighting hence the upgrade.

4. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Yeah, it's 1.2m/4' long by abt 40cm/15". Actually, I think I got the calculation wrong :oops: on recalculating it came out at 1.09wpg so doubling the lighting would give me 2.18wpg at which point I'd have to start CO2. On a tank this size, that's going to be too expensive for me at the mo, so perhaps I'll stick with what I have! Unless I've got it all wrong :rolleyes: ...

BTW any thoughts on "night lights", ie simulated moonlight?

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

also remeber on tanks over 30g the wpg becomes more leanient so you may be on about 1.3wpg.

Have you thought about T6's? They fit in T8 ballasts but have 40% more light output. have a look at aqua essentials.