• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reoccurring Flow Problems = surface scum and algae

NeilW

My beautifully laid plans are all going to pot :lol:

Over the past fews months I have been desperately wrestling with staghorn, BGA and surface scum in my poor battered nano. After valiantly fighting off the algae with copious dosing I am still left with the surface scum, but finally the penny has dropped ... all of these problems have circulation/flow/distribution at their heart.

Recently I have been heavily dosing EasyCarbo which has helped alleviate the situation by directly killing algae, but without proper circulation this has only worked as a controlling measure rather then a fix. My original intention was also to run without a carbon source which I know can be done, so in an ideal world I would like to stop altogether

My filter is well up to the job (rated at 500lph in a 17 litre tank) so the finger of blame for the lack in distribution is pointed squarely at the beast of a rock that is the focus of my 'scape and dominates the tank. I could put it all down to some bad rock placement/rock choice and rip the whole lot out and start again, but I really like the tank as it is and would like to find a way of fixing my problems and learning in the process. I think there must be a way round it as Amano makes use of big rocks in his NA gallery nanos too.

Which leaves my only option to fix the flow with either a new placement of the inflow/outflow, a new better design of inflow lily pipe, add a strategically placed spraybar, or other ingenious solution.

This is my current setup where the water comes in from the lily at the back, hits the front glass and then is returned to the filter on the left (Sorry I labelled the outflow as 'in' - its too late at night, I'm sure you get the idea :lol: )
flowk.jpg

frontncd.jpg

-As you can see this leaves a big dead spot behind the big rock where there is no flow, so no even distribution of nutrients etc etc.

Ideally I would like to make the gear that I've got to work properly, so any direction in better placement would be greatly appreciated. I want to preserve the clean look of the equipment in the tank (or lack of it) but if I run out of options I was thinking I could try and DIY a clear acrylic spray bar to stick to the right wall of the tank? Another option was to split the outflow into two lily pipes, or is this a crazy idea?

Any suggestions appreciated, I'm completely open to ideas. :thumbup:

I'd put the intake behind the rock too.

The flow is going to go round the rock as its far too quick to turn :)

outlet.. should come from the front left, going to the right IMO

surface scum, can be skimmed off with a bowl, until things re-stabilise. forget paper towels, it's just poppy cock.

Hi Neil
I think the general consensus is to switch the 2 pipes over and see if that helps solve your flow problem.
The problem with the lily outflow pipes is their not angled enough for flow to reach the substrate........for a clean look we use them.
I like the idea of using 2 lily pipes...(more expense again though) as outflow units....this also may solve the problem of surface scum,its a lot of trial and error at this game.
I am about to set up the similar tank you sent me so I'm interested in how this works out.
The other alternative as you mentioned is DIY spray bar ...... but im not to sure on that one.
Is your filter running at maximum output?
Regards
hoggie

Could a small powerhead be hidden behind the rock? I have 3 koralia's in my Osaka tank and you can't see any of them as the are hidden behind the hardscape.

Thanks everyone for your help - sorry for the lack of a reply, I thought I would read all the advice and put it into action!

I basically went along with all the advice and just repositioned where the in and out were. Both Mark and Tom were right on the money with having the outflow on the left; I now have some full on circular flow, cheers lads :thumbup:

The inflow is positioned behind the crypts at the back as per the advice of Chris and Tom also.

img2457j.jpg

Even in the photo you can now make out a slight surface ripple 8)

Mr T said:
Could a small powerhead be hidden behind the rock? I have 3 koralia's in my Osaka tank and you can't see any of them as the are hidden behind the hardscape.
Good idea Mr T but sadly even a koralia nano would be a massive piece of kit in such a small tank

hogan53 said:
I think the general consensus is to switch the 2 pipes over and see if that helps solve your flow problem.
The problem with the lily outflow pipes is their not angled enough for flow to reach the substrate........for a clean look we use them.
I like the idea of using 2 lily pipes...(more expense again though) as outflow units....this also may solve the problem of surface scum,its a lot of trial and error at this game.
I am about to set up the similar tank you sent me so I'm interested in how this works out.
The other alternative as you mentioned is DIY spray bar ...... but im not to sure on that one.
Is your filter running at maximum output?
Cheers for such an in depth reply hoggie. Hopefully I've cracked it, its certainly been a case of perseverance with this tank :wideyed:

I now have the filter on maximum output with both taps on full where previously one was only half open. :thumbup:

Cheers for the advice everyone, I was struggling to think of the solution from looking at it too long I think

George Farmer said:
Flow issues aside, the 'scape looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks very much indeed Mr Farmer :thumbup:

I was hoping the tank would be in shape for the AGA competition as I've never done anything like that before, but sadly my moss-lifting crisis and irritating staghorn problem means its far from top shape :thumbdown: Looks like I'll have to wait another year!

Back