• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replacement for Cabomba

Schmill

Kind of an open question this one, but here goes...

At the moment I have Cabomba in my tank, which I have been using for 'height' without it being too wide, and also it grows and sprouts new shoots prolificly so I can propagate it around the tank, throw out old looking pieces, and not have to worry.
The thing is, it seems quite 'weak', and I am constantly having to fish bits of this plant out of the tank, and out of the other plants in the tank. I believe in the 'wild' the plant propogates itself in the autumn by allowing the stems to break, the peices then fall to the substrate, and in the spring each piece sprouts a new plant. However, surely the stuff in my tank has no concept of the seasons?
Can I either make this plant stronger, or rip it out and replace it with something else? I'm just not sure what. I did buy some twisted vallis a while back, but all of them just rotted away and died :shifty:

Realise now that this might be relavant too :)

4ft 300L tank, 24" tall
2 x 39W T5 lighting.
No CO2 injection.
Daily doses of 12ml AE Liquid Carbon.
AE Trace, KH2PO4 and KN03 dosed to EI.

Hi schmill

It may be sensitive to liquid carbon. Vallis definitely is, so that probably explains your lack of success with that.

CO2 injection will improve growth and possibly health.

If you want something similar to the look of cabomba then Limnophila aquatica and sessiflora are similar but more robust.

Back