• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replacement HOB filter for 20l tank advice

aec34

I’m thinking about swapping out my dennerle eckfilter/corner filter in my little 20l shrimp cube for an external HOB filter. I’ve no complaints about the filter I’ve got, but I feel like I could use the space in the tank better.
Tank has been set up for about 3 months and seems to be settling nicely. Assuming changing the filter at this stage is not a terrible idea, would a cheap eg superfish one do the job? Anyone got any specific recommendations? Ta.

Eheim hob filters!
I've got the larger Liberty 200 can't fault it!
They are a more expensive....as the build quality is quite robust!
Easy access to remove and clean the sponges...:thumbup:
You can add some filter floss to pick up finer detritus particles!
1611256978611.png

Hi mate, I've been running a Hidom 200 HOB on my 50 ltr low tech scape without any issues so would recommend. It's probably a little small for my tank but I'm just looking for some water movement, it would be perfect in a 20L. They cost about a tenner and run pretty quiet, they do come with a carbon/floss filter so you could buy replacements they but are very easy to modify. I just cut a sponge (probably about 300ppi) the same shape but slightly bigger than the cartridge using the cartridge as a template then slightly curved it so it fitted in snug. There's a couple of plastic lugs on each side which hold the sponge in position.
Another little tip is when the filter has just been cleaned sometimes you can get a bit of vibration through the tank especially from the lid of the filter, what I did was cut a piece of soft airline tubing down the middle and sit this on the rim of the tank where the filter sits, also where the adjuster to level the filter up sits against the tank wall I put an o ring on it or you could use an elastic band. After this it runs silently, the lids will quieten down when condensation gets on it and there's a water buffer between the lid and the main body.

Great, thanks both! Having bought totally the wrong bit of kit a while ago for another mini project, thought it best to seek advice on this one...

I really like the Seachem Tidal filters. I've run a Tidal 35 for years without issue. Also the Sunsun603b is a good cannister filter for nano tanks and is super cheap.

And people do grow plants out of their hob filters, don’t they? Is this just ‘take the top off and stick a well-chosen plant in’, or an I missing something?

I use Liberty HOBS, they're excellent. 75 will be perfect for 20L, but, there are cheaper out there.

another for Eheim Liberty but not as easy to get a hold of these days

ran the 75 on a 16L and the 130 on a 32L and worked a charm

If you contact John Allan aquariums directly, they will likely sell you one. I recently bought some parts for the Liberty filters from them - however, I took the last they had :confused:

And people do grow plants out of their hob filters, don’t they?
Just to say although this may be possible with the Hidom it would be a pain I reckon. Unlike some of the cheap chinese HOB models I was looking at which appeared to have the main body and motor as two separate components the Hidom is moulded as one piece which means that to clean the impeller which is at the bottom inside you would have to remove the entire contents of the filter. Easy enough I suppose if you just had some roots in there.
When I was looking at the cheap Chinese stuff there were reviews about leaks where the motor housing connected to the main body or it over filling when the media was dirty and spilling out on the floor so just be aware of that. With the hidom it isn't possible as if the media clogs up the water takes a different route and returns back into the tank.

Something I forgot to ask: noise. If I’m after something quiet, what can people recommend? I’m erring towards seachem tidal.

I’ve just realised I’m really spoiled by the eckfilter which is basically silent - other half will grumble if a new filter is noisy...

EDIT: ok, just remembered the review... seachem one is pretty quiet.., long week...

Last edited:
Hi. I have watched just about every review of the Seachem Tidal and it seems that the skimmer function doesn't work too well and you have to load the intake with filter foam to stop fish getting jammed in it. I'm unsure especially with the 35 one.
Im looking out for an Eheim Liberty or Aquael. The thought of buying a premium hob and modifying it before use annoys me.
Please keep us update on what you go for and where you get it!!

Back