• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replacement solenoid

Hi, my solenoid has stopped working. It won't turn itself off when not connected with power. I tried to find a replacement but they all look slightly different and I don't know what which one to go for or just buy a new regulator and solenoid.

I'll attach pictures of the one I have and maybe someone can tell me what one I need.

Thank you and happy holloween
IMG_20201031_184446.jpg
IMG_20201031_184439.jpg

Seems there are variations in the diameter of the shaft the solenoid attaches to, so you need to measure its diameter accurately.
That said, is it the solenoid thats faulty ? could be the mechanism inside the regulator that the solenoid energizes; there are a few ytubes on disassembling it, but cannot say if its safe to do on your unit ? FE disconnected of course !!
You can see the princple here - https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/how-clean-and-maintain-co2-solenoid-valve

Might be best to contact Up-Aqua, who seem to be in China , though getting a spare or finding some company in the EU with the part might be a big ask ...?

Sounds like it is not returning, under the spring force, to it's closed position, when power is off. So as dino21 said, likely the mechanism. Probably just sticking, or broken spring.

Are there any part numbers on the underside of the black valve?

Hi
If the contacts are stuck together you might be able to free them up by taping the solenoid casing with a screwdriver handle, with the power off. If the power is off the spring is trying to open the contacts so the taping can help the spring pull them apart.
cheers 🍻

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. I tried to take it apart and clean it but it still was not reliably turning off. I ended up ordering a new one as I couldn't trust it and didn't want to risk it gassing my fish. Thank you all though :)

Did you order a new sov or a new reg? If the valve isn't closing on power off that is a reg issue. The sov is just an electromagnet that pulls a pin on the valve, this pin is where the issue will lie.

Back