• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rescape and new substrate

EllieRosea

Seedling
AAAHH!!! First post! :D
I'm completely redoing my tank this summer.

I do have a spare tank, so i could put my fish in there, but I have a few questions first before I get on to my substrate!
Shall i run my current filters in the temporary housing tank to stop the bacteria being killed, or will they be okay for a day or two?

Right, now, when i started this tank I knew nothing about the lovely world of proper aquascaping.. and I have a layer of gravel with white sand on top as my substrate..
Gotta admit, i love the look of the white sand, and would want to keep that.
I want to remove EVERYTHING and put in a base layer of a plant substrate then white sand on top.
But, how thick should my base layer be?
Should I do the back of the tank as completely plant substrate, with white sand at the front?
And which is the best all-round substrate, that won't cloud the water, and is best for my scenario?

Thanks All :D

If you like the White sand then I'd go for tropica substrate. Put about 1cm over the entire bottom and cover with upwards of 3-4cm of sand, job done!

Back