• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resources on 'Nature Aquariums'

castle

Hello,

When I started fish keeping in 2003ish, I had a couple of books that described the 'Nature aquarium', and I'm trying to find any references to mentions of this in a pre-walstad era. Could you recommend any?

I used to keep 'nature' aquariums, i.e sand, rocks and a thriving single plant (had 3 tanks of the same setup for limias in 2004-6), I used to call this plant "a non-killable weed" but it turns out it was Ceratopteris thalictroides. I remember telling my LFS manager, if there was a nuclear strike, these plants would live through it.

I've got a couple of books detailing it, but I'd like more.

Hi all,
I used to keep 'nature' aquariums, i.e sand, rocks and a thriving single plant (had 3 tanks of the same setup for limias in 2004-6), I used to call this plant "a non-killable weed" but it turns out it was Ceratopteris thalictroides. I remember telling my LFS manager, if there was a nuclear strike, these plants would live through it.
I'm a Ceratopteris fan as well.

Pets@Home are selling Ceratopteris cornuta in the 3 for £11 pick and mix.

The book might have been Horst and Kipper "The Optimum Aquarium". Have a look at the links in <"How do you know ....">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks, I think I have the Optimum Aquarium already. Ceratopteris looks like it's fallen out of favour, but 15 (blahblahblahblah) years ago it was one fo the most dependable plants I could get my hands on, I might plant some up again as I have a couple of tanks not doing much.

Back