• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Restricted Space.

geaves

I have a tank and stand purchased from here awaiting the next project, tank is approx. 70ltrs +/-. I wanted to make this as aesthetically pleasing as possible, i.e. just flow and return in the tank either glass or acrylic.

However, I am restricted by the cabinet doors, max width being 17cms, this appears to be too narrow for most canister filters except for the API Nexx this would fit, the only downside to this is the powerhead (black), the pipe work can be changed.

The other option is a hang on filter and I've been looking at the AquaEl Versamax most of this could be hidden by planting, wood, rocks etc.

I also like the idea of a diy wet and dry filter, loads of information on the 'net' on how to build one of these, the only downside to this that I can see is some sort of shut off valve on the tank outlet should there be a power cut. :idea: says ball valve, but the size of the sump may also be restrictive. I would like to build one of these, but as a future project.

I also want to ensure that I have a decent flow around the tank.

Hi all,
except for the API Nexx this would fit
Don't do it, beyond horrible, possibly the worst designed filter I have ever seen, I think RENA must have brought it out for a bet. A HoB is OK.
I also like the idea of a diy wet and dry filter, loads of information on the 'net' on how to build one of these, the only downside to this that I can see is some sort of shut off valve on the tank outlet should there be a power cut. :idea: says ball valve, but the size of the sump may also be restrictive. I would like to build one of these, but as a future project.
Assuming you are going to use an overflow box you just need to drill a hole in the intake pipe, so that should the water level get near to filling the sump capacity it will become exposed and break the syphon. It is a KISS solution <http://theaquariumwiki.com/DIY_Plumbing_101#Anti-Siphon_Holes>.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Don't do it, beyond horrible, possibly the worst designed filter I have ever seen, I think RENA must have brought it out for a bet. A HoB is OK.

The reviews about the Nexx filter are not actually great, the HOB appears to be the best option, I'm looking at getting one for the cube so I could hook it onto this tank and get SWMBO's opinion ;)

Assuming you are going to use an overflow box you just need to drill a hole in the intake pipe, so that should the water level get near to filling the sump capacity it will become exposed and break the syphon. It is a KISS solution <http://theaquariumwiki.com/DIY_Plumbing_101#Anti-Siphon_Holes>.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the link :thumbup: yes I would be looking at using a sump and a manual shut off valve on the intake, and if I had half a brain I should have realised there was a KISS solution. :D

Have you got a pic of the cabinet ? Is an Eheim classic too big to fit into this ? I would have thought that was ok. Or have you checked out JBL's Cristalprofi range ? They are thinner than most. Given the size of that tank, personally I would reconsider and look at making your own cabinet rather than compromise on the filter you want. :)

I ditto what Darrel says about the Rena Nexx. What a horrid design that requires the pump to be sited in the tank ! Thus defeating the object of an external filter. I don't know what planet the Rena designer was from but it sure ain't Planet Aquaria ! LOL.

Antipofish said:
Have you got a pic of the cabinet ? Is an Eheim classic too big to fit into this ? I would have thought that was ok. Or have you checked out JBL's Cristalprofi range ? They are thinner than most. Given the size of that tank, personally I would reconsider and look at making your own cabinet rather than compromise on the filter you want. :)

Just looked at the Classic, the 2213 is the only one that would fit, and that only gives 440 l/h, the AquaEl HOB's will do more than that.

Making a new cabinet.... :lol: me and wood just don't mix, not much of a 'diy'er'. The cabinet is the older style Fluval Roma 90, the new ones have 2 doors but no structural support in between the 2 doors.

geaves said:
Antipofish said:

Just looked at the Classic, the 2213 is the only one that would fit, and that only gives 440 l/h, the AquaEl HOB's will do more than that.

Making a new cabinet.... :lol: me and wood just don't mix, not much of a 'diy'er'. The cabinet is the older style Fluval Roma 90, the new ones have 2 doors but no structural support in between the 2 doors.

Buy a new cabinet then, lol. I reckon you could find one for £60. You were thinking of buying my G6 at one point. Think of the money you saved on that, get a new cabinet and still afford to buy a decent filter lol. I think HOBs are almost as ugly as internals cos they look just as intrusive. (IMVHO)

Antipofish said:
I think HOBs are almost as ugly as internals cos they look just as intrusive. (IMVHO)

HOB's are no more intrusive than an external canister. The only part of the filter that can be seen in the tank is the intake, not an intake and outlet / spraybar.

I think the HOB type listed above would be a great solution to your cabinet woes.

Wallace said:
Antipofish said:
I think HOBs are almost as ugly as internals cos they look just as intrusive. (IMVHO)

HOB's are no more intrusive than an external canister. The only part of the filter that can be seen in the tank is the intake, not an intake and outlet / spraybar.

I think the HOB type listed above would be a great solution to your cabinet woes.

I disagree. You dont see an external filter hanging on the side or back of the tank like a housebrick do you ? Its discreetly (usually) hidden in a cabinet and the only part of it you see are the inlet/outlet pipes (which can be made to look as invisible as possible if you use clear tube and glassware.

But its all personal opinion. I would not want a HOB filter. No ifs no buts.

:clap: Found one that fits from a local lfs.....TMC V2PowerBox 200....not bad, can't hear it when it's in the cabinet, comes with a 4 section spray bar.....all I need now is an inline heater and a diy stand for the Arcadia then I can make a start.

Back