• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Retrospectivly attaching plants to wood

Susanna

Hi folks,

During a water change recently 2 of my anubias nana decided to move house they were originally attached with fine thread fishing line. I always have problems tying that stuff. I tried to retie them but given the angle and being wet i just couldn't do it without wrecking the whole thing.

I managed to put one back just slightly out of place with a thin branch/root holding it down but the other i had to locate in a less than optimal position.

I was thinking wire ties until their roots engage but am afraid of introducing odd metal ions to the water such as copper any suggestions?

Hi all,
I was thinking wire ties until their roots engage but am afraid of introducing odd metal ions to the water such as copper any suggestions?
I typically try gel based Cyanoacrylate glues
Yes gel based "Super glue" or you can staple the roots to the wood (not the rhizome, just the roots).

I'm not too bothered about aesthetics and none of my epiphytes, or moss, have been fixed to anything solid for a number of years.

cheers Darrel

A second vote here for gel cyanoacrylate (super glue). I had the same issue with Anubias coming loose when I first set up our tank.

I was able to add glue to the Anubias outside the tank, and then quickly plunge it into the water and press them into place. There is enough time to travel through the water and reach the hardscape before the glue sets (assuming you don’t want to lower the water level to reach those placement points).

One word of warning with the glue though is try and apply it to the Anubias roots not the rhizome. I had a lot of rhizome melt when I first set up my tank, and I attribute it to the fact that I liberally glued the rhizomes to the hardscape. Since I have started only gluing roots, I’ve had no reoccurrence of the issue.

I can only assuming having too much of the rhizome glued, blocks the required flow of water to that area of tissue, and causes it to rot - similar to trying to plant it in substrate.

Thanks for that being an avid model maker I have quite a supply of CA glues

Back