• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the nry :) 'Sticks and stones' Rescape/new pics!

Re: Return of the nry :) 60x30x30 rescape ideas

That's odd about the mould, I've had mine in my tank for ages and aside from a couple of seedlings I've had no issues with mould, it dried out pretty quickly though. I like the scape, it reminds me of Jason Balibans, hill of skull I think it was called. I can imagine it with nothing but Hc and moss.

The lid was on mine for a week or so initially, that could be the problem :)

Not touching moss, easy to look after beyond the trimmings get everywhere however careful I am, so you get moss growing where you don't want it.

Ok, I'm torn....after a bit of looking around I am now back to my original crypt plan - wendtii at the rear, with crypt petchii around the rocks/wood. Vague vague thoughts of ignoring my preference on carpetting plants and sticking some HC back in mainly at the rear and emerging from the gaps in the rocks, leaving the foreground substrate clear...

Pfft, too much choice :) I guess crypts are low maintenance so the main work would be on the HC...

I have yeah, but I like ph...however I'm probably going to go for the crypts idea above...and I'm tempted to try u.graminifolia again too, but not sure. With crypts and UG only, I could probably run a lower EI dosage which seems to suit UG.

Well, mix of ideas, so the choice has been bought:

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown' - rear centre piece
Pogostemon Helferi - in and around rocks/wood
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' - carpet from rear sides and possibly from the front gaps in the rocks

Plants arrived today, should be going in this evening :)

Yep, it'll look wierd for a while as the plants have all been grown out of water so the crypts are much smaller than they'll end up :)

Never looks right in photo's but see below anyhow!

Aim is that the crypt wendtii brown will fill in the centre and give a bit of planting height, with HC rear left/right and some creeping from the gaps in the rocks. P.Helferi should form a kind of cushion filling in the space between the wood and stone, pulling it all together. All this is based on how these plants grew for me in previous scapes so hopefully they'll do the same again :) All makes sense in my head!

incab.jpg

front.jpg

angle.jpg

Curious on dropping a Koralia Nano in the tank to aid the CO2 mist flow, where would I put one to gain the most benefit?

Re: Return of the nry :) 'Helferi Hills'

depends what you are going to do with your lily pipe. if you point that towards the back right corner, and then have the koralia going from the back right, pointing towards the front left slightly, but also down a bit, so co3 does the full circle and gets pushed down towards the substrate. that way the water get circluated back towards the filter inlet.

Cheers Nick, will see how the CO2 is when I start shifting the drop checker around!

When do you reckon it's safe to add the first livestock?

Haven't exactly gone for the heavily planted look from the beginning so don't want to cause any ammonia issues.

So far my fish etc choices are:

3 oto's
12-18 dwarf fish, local Maidenheads has a few choices
Some smaller shrimp, I like the bumble bee variety if I can find some

Would I get more than a 12-18 shoal of the main fish in safely? Filter is a TetraTec EX600. Maidenheads have a fair choice, ember tetra, dwarf red pencilfish and a few others I can't recall. Slightly less LFS also have some galaxy's in which I have always liked, but at £4.50 a fish they're going to cost me a canny bit of money!

how long has it been running? I would leave it as long as you can. It'll allow you to go silly with the CO2 levels. get the plants growing well and then drop the co2 down a while before adding the livestock.

but it's really tempting to add livestock. I know :)

Chris

Been in less than a week :)

Was aiming to give it a month for the plant growth to take off - CO2 is up very high, drop checker is a nice yellow colour.

Pipes I think are JBL ones from AquaEssentials, had to add the cable ties myself but they've worked well.

Green water is back...seems like it didn't get cleaned away fully with the tank strip? Thought it was initially a bacteria bloom but today it most definitely had a green tinge. 50% water change, will try to do this every day and see if this gets rid. Tried blackouts in the past to no avail...

Back