• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the nry :) 'Sticks and stones' Rescape/new pics!

Re: Return of the nry :) 'Helferi Hills'

Good to see you still here John :)

nry said:
Green water is back...seems like it didn't get cleaned away fully with the tank strip? Thought it was initially a bacteria bloom but today it most definitely had a green tinge. 50% water change, will try to do this every day and see if this gets rid. Tried blackouts in the past to no avail...
I spent ages trying to get rid of green water, water changes once a day and then tried willow branches (but I think this might well be an incompatible technique since we are adding 'loads' of ferts anyway) the only thing that worked for me was a UV unit, I think it was fish r fun it had a 200lph pump which pulled the water though it. It sorted the problem in a couple of days. I did plenty of water changes too as the uv was killing off the algae I didn't want an ammonia spike. It cost £20 but it meant I could see through the tank again.

might be worth the investment as you've had GW before.

Chris

Did a quick search this afternoon for a UV filter, but they were all expensive, towards £100 - any ideas where the cheaper ones can be purchased? I'll add them to my shop ideas ;)

Might pick up one of the cheapy internals then, saves faffing with the filter pipework!

Bought one of the cheap internals via eBay for £22.99 delivered, fingers crossed!

UV filter is doing a good job of clearing the green water - within 2 days it has got much better. Done a few 50% water changes too to try and help out.

A little bit of gda/diatom starting to show on the rocks and wood, upped the CO2 a little more tonight - was already giving me a nice yellow drop checker.

All the plants are settling in well - I trimmed the HC a few days back removing any upward growing shoots and replanting them. It has now started to spread really well :)

Going to give it a week and if all is going well I might add some shrimp and/or some oto's to get on top of the diatoms etc..obviously lowering the CO2 to suitable levels first!

Have done 3 since putting the filter in, pretty much every other day, water is looking much better :)

How long should I leave the UV filter in for? The water is crystal again, and the UV has been running for 5 days.

Hi

is there a problem having uv and adding ferts? surely not?

Don't see why, unless it breaks them down which I doubt?

UV has been off for over 2 days, so far so good.

Added 3 oto's today, getting a bit of diatom build up on the rocks so they have plenty to munch on...once they stop hiding anyhow :)

Back