• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

Funky funky

:lol: That song they probably came up with during their Toad licking periode.. But it's indeed darn Funky..

Oh man that would freak me out, I have a the odd "snail leech" in some of my tanks, they look similar when they stretch out, freaky things.

Funky funky

That is Funky and very appropriate, wish I'd found that earlier :)

:lol: That song they probably came up with during their Toad licking periode.. But it's indeed darn Funky..
Toad licking was definitely undertaken, during the writing and performing of that track :rolleyes:

Oh man that would freak me out, I have a the odd "snail leech" in some of my tanks, they look similar when they stretch out, freaky things.
Me too, the suckers really turn my stomach :meh: but now I know why my fish aren't really bothered about eating flake food, there's plenty of live food hiding in the tank.

The Buces are flowering again. They appear to be taking to their new life underwater quite well.
You can see the difference between the old emersed leaves and the new submersed ones.

The old ones also have some GSA but the new ones are looking pretty good.

Hopefully, I've got the balance right between light intensity, flow and distribution of ferts and CO2, and the leaves will stay healthy and algae free.

38507214084_b49858e7cb_b.jpg

38338873215_b927aa32de_b.jpg

25349018168_b0df66ba4a_b.jpg

Last edited:
How's your Wallichii getting on? I'm growing it low tech and not sure how it's doing compared to if it was high tech....

Attachments

• 20171222_115941.jpg
    20171222_115941.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 282
  • 20171222_120826.jpg
    20171222_120826.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 300
It's taken me longer to get around to flooding the scape than I would have liked, the usual life stuff and holidays getting in the way, meaning I haven't been around to do the daily water changes needed to give a newly flooded tank the best possible start. Consequently, the scape has become a bit overgrown.

Day 61 of the dry start...

37910271406_be553ae75a_b.jpg

24112822478_09c9fb179b_b.jpg

By comparison day 1 of the dry start...

35986812093_4aa5a5d757_b.jpg
This is absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This is absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Thank you knickster :)

Did the twinstar do anything for your aquarium?
I think the general consensus is that yes it helps to keep algae under control but only as an aid to good tank maintenance.
In the same way It helps to keep the water clear, and is probably the ultimate cut price oxygen generator.

As Darrel @dw1305 has mentioned previously in other threads, O2 is the primary metric in biological filtration.
So overall I think it makes a significant contribution to the stability, and health of the tank and the critters and plants in it ;)

The scape has been in desperate need of a trim for some time, but somehow I've never managed to get round to it...but today I decided to just get on with it.
The stems had gone over the top and I'm going to have to stay on top of them from now on the get the low and compact growth I want. They still look a bit messy as a result.

After...
25948447778_398a39292a_b.jpg

Before...
39788559502_5b1173ca64_b.jpg

24950196147_560c64f83d_b.jpg

I'd swap some faster weedy species for slower growing and non stemy types.

Since you are already neglecting the trimming, maybe maybe not, but the shallow nature leaves less time to between trim before it throws off the scape.
Maybe a corner's worth of stem plants, something pink or more red. Starogyne would work but might be too large a leaf to replace the foreground.

I went full non CO2 on my shallow tank.
I removed a lot of the Pennywort as the tank has matured a bit more.
Replaced with Mini Xmas moss. It was easier. Moss tiles are fairly easy to work with if you choose that for the foreground also and folks will always buy moss, buckets of pennywort, not so much.
Dwarf clover is another easy to handle foreground.
Tropica mini hairgrass.
Etc.

Try and switch out different species to see what works better.

Attachments

• IMG_1970 (2).JPG
    IMG_1970 (2).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 259
Thanks for the advice Tom, nice to see you posting here again.
Been thinking of swapping some plants out, or maybe mixing things up a little especially in the foreground.
And funny you should comment on neglecting the trimming, I've just hacked the stems back...

40121267561_9d91bc47fd_b.jpg

39221228865_630a886466_b.jpg

26246398858_cbcaa9c91a_b.jpg

Tim

Been thinking of swapping some plants out, or maybe mixing things up a little especially in the foreground.

At the moment design wise a neat and tidy foreground leads your eye directly to the main feature of your Aquascape without any distractions.

Keith:wave::wave:

Tim At the moment design wise a neat and tidy foreground leads your eye directly to the main feature of your Aquascape without any distractions. Keith:wave::wave:
Thanks Keith, I've been thinking a few low growing crypts at the foot of the mound and/or some hair grass similarly placed might add a bit more texture.

Back