• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return to Aquascaping (no title yet)

Liam75^

Seedling
This is my first tank for a few years. I had a lot of the equipment already,bought for a planned tank a couple of years back that never got started, just waiting for the spark of enthusiasm to get back into it.

My first idea was to do a very jungle-y scape but after looking for sources of inspiration, I went back through all my Amano books, and I decided to go back to the kind of tank and plants that made me so excited about the hobby in the first place nearly 20 years ago(!) .

Tank : Dennerle Nanocube 25x25x35cms, 20 litres
Light: Dennerle Nano 5 Watt
Filter: Dennerle Eckfilter
Heater: 25w
CO2: Bio-CO2 to begin with, have a sodastream set-up to add later.

Substrate: Dennerle Black Deponit Mix and Dennerle Black Gravel
Wood: Red Moor wood
Rocks: ADA Vulcan Rock
Planned Plants: See plan below
Planned Livestock: Bororas Brigittae, Otocinclus, Shrimp (species to be decided), Nerite Snails.

The Red Moor Wood I already had, sourced from Ebay, I think.
There was one great piece that I always thought would be a good centrepiece. I made a cardboard mock-up of the tank.
Realising that it's a fairly small tank, I thought there's really only space for one central piece so I started cutting up the other pieces and adding to the main one.

DSC_0098.jpg

And I kept adding.

DSC_0098-copy-2.jpg

It's final form!

DSC_0098-copy-4.jpg

DSC_0098-copy-5.jpg

This is it in the tank in situ. It looks striking when lit from above and should provide some interesting shadows.

DSC_0098-copy-6.jpg

Next, rocks.

I had some Seiryu Rocks but they didn't seem right for this. I messed about with some Black Lava Rocks which would have matched the black substrate really well but then I saw some ADA Vulcan Rocks and bought them out of curiosity. Turns out they're really great and have decided to use them instead. I wasn't intending to use many rocks, but I really like the colour and texture of these, and once I started adding them, I used almost all of them.

DSC_0098-copy-8.jpg

DSC_0098-copy-9.jpg

I keep thinking that's a lot of rocks for a small tank, but it leaves plenty of room for carpeting plants in front and stems behind. And there will be plants on and between the rocks too.

So that's where I am at the moment.

Any feedback or critique is very welcome.

Hopefully, plants next week. Here's my (rough) plan for that (please excuse any spelling mistakes for plant names).
The basic idea is lots of fine-leafed plants fora sense of scale, in bright greens with a few subtle hints of red.
I wanted Riccardia on the wood but can't decide what moss to go for, am open to suggestions.
I decided on Glossostigma for the carpet as it was always one of my favourite plants. I know there are other options with finer leaves, but Glosso is definitely one of those plants that made me fall in love aquascaping in the first place.

PLAN.jpg

So that's it for now.
Any critiques or suggestions are welcome.

Hi Liam

I'm new to aquascaping and high tech (kept low tech tanks and the harscape not planned etc before) tanks and am in the process of setting up a aquascaper 600 tank myself ..

I think it looks great lovely striking centre piece I do think It would be nice to have some red plants in there too to contrast with the green !

But I think it looks great 😀

Heres my hardscape in my tank
👍

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• 20201024_182325.jpg
    20201024_182325.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
Hi Matt,

Thanks.

I'm defintiely hoping for some subtle reds... Hopefully the Ludwigia arcuata will show some red, the hygrophilia is in there (red-ish/brownish), and I bought the Hemianthus Tennellus "Red" as well as the green. If they don't come through strong enough, or the lighting isn't enough to effect the colour change, I'll certainly think about something more obviously red.

That's a great scape. The Manzanita (?) looks superb.

Hi Liam! I am looking forward to this progress ! Probably have yours set up before me 😅
Cant get any time off till December now so gonna be start of December for me....

Thanks for complimenting the wood ! 👍
Still not 100% sure I have the final image in my head but its just trying to work out if its going to turn out that way haha !!

Not sure if you have some labeled (on my phone so imagine isn't to big)

Again im a newbie but what about some small anubus and red/brown buce in-between rocks? Just to blend from the foreground to the background whilst hopefully drawing eyes to the hardscape?

Thanks
Matt

Day 7 after planting and everything seems to be going okay.
Everything looks green and lush and a few small signs of growth.
Bio-CO2 production has has been fairly steady but no signs of pearling.
IMG_20201030_180001.jpg

IMG_20201030_175929.jpg

IMG_20201030_180056.jpg

Some things that didn't go well : overdid the superglue on the wood in a couple of places.
The Fissidens and Riccardia did not react well to being superglued to the rocks and pretty much melted. A few tiny traces of it still visible.
The Limnobia is the only plant looking like it's struggling. Maybe the lack of livestock means there's less waste for it to feed on?
IMG_20201030_180236.jpg

Lots of little things need attention, but trying to resist the urge to fiddle with it until everything is a bit bigger, rooted and settled.

Last edited:
I donot mean to be mean but you do need to fiddle. At the moment you have an algae ball!

get it all off followed by multiple massive water changes. Get your toothbrush on the wood to get it all off.

temp should be 23 degrees with 6 hours of light.

move the spray bar higher, point it up and create a nice surface ripple.

get a drop checker if you haven’t got one to measure the co2.

cheers.

s.

That's moss..
I attached amblystegium to the wood, and the java moss arrived after I had filled the tank so it's just stuck in there in clumps for the moment , I didn't want to pull out the wood and tie it just yet.
IMG_20201030_192849.jpg
IMG_20201030_192645.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why you are insisting about this.
There's no algae in there. It would show up in these backlit photos if it was there, but there isn't.

IMG_20201030_200411.jpg
IMG_20201030_200441.jpg
IMG_20201030_200526.jpg
IMG_20201030_200625.jpg

Just trying to help mate. I can see issues with your tank and want it to look better for you.

The spray bar is too low and the plants look like they are growing without co2 (hence the drop checker question).

That really is algae all over the moss but see how you go 👍

There's no algae in there.
That's technically and physically not possible to have an algae free tank (even if you don't see them) - they are just "smaller" plants. I'd definitely agree with @Siege and look closer into #5 image of Limnobium - it looks like lack of N or C on those floating leaves. Or Iron deficiency in the past - meaning lack of Iron at early growth stage may cause problems with N and other nutrients assimilation in the future (all of them may lead to algae spikes as algae are opportunists and they will quickly colonize vulnerable parts of the plants).

Last edited:
Back