• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return to the hobby: 35L Planted

TBirdyTom

Seedling
Hey guys, here's my tank (post final major prune). Will update again as it grows in fully.

I'd previously tried scaping some aquariums and had major problems getting any plants going. I never had any real CO2 though and was using far too demanding plants and then giving up at the first sign of algae.

After randomly deciding to give it another shot at the beginning on this year I've been through the trials and tribulations of setting up a tank from scratch and having to work everything out as I go along. Anyway, enough babbling - here's the tank:

Arcadia Arc Tank 35L
Arcadia Ellipse 18W Tropical
FE CO2
Eheim 2213

2 x Otos
4x Cherry barbs

E. acicularis sp. mini
H. tripiartia
S. repens
R. rotundifolia
M. hirsuta

C1YfYrk.jpg

amGMA5J.jpg

Any comments, advice etc. would be great but really just wanted to show off something I think's not half bad for a first successful attempt. Thinking I may need to rescape soon as that hairgrass is getting thick. Will try and do something completely different next I think.

Hi Tom,
some really nice plant growth there you must be well pleased with your come back!
If your planning a rescape maybe one thing to consider will be getting some more height from hardscape and plants to utilise the tank dimensions more.
Really nice effort and pleased you've done some research and got things on track, nothing better than a nice healthy planted tank :)
Cheerio,
Ady

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and comments.

Ady, that's exactly what I was thinking, obviously when the R. rotundifolia grows back in it'll give it a bit more height, but there's so much clear water at the top of the tank! I think my problem was not buying enough substrate initially I found it hard to get much of a slope going to provide additional depth.

As for the lawn, I can't believe how much it's filled in since I first planted mid January. Think it just takes patience for the tufts to settle and start sending out runners to fill in the gaps.

Not really sure where to go plantwise with the next scape. Want something a bit different but love the bright greens (pictures make it look a little washed out in comparison) so don't really think Anubias or Crypts have any species that bring that to the table.

Will definitely be adding some more Cherry barbs as they're fun to watch trying to swim up the lily pipes after a water change. The females all seem to love playing hide and seek with the one male in an out of the H. tripiartia. Is it alright to have a 1:1 ratio of M:F or will the females receive too much unwanted attention then?

Back