• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Returning to Aquascape after 10 years

timseren

So after more then 10 years of not owning a scape, decided it's time to return. As I felt burned out after constantly pushing myself of having a contest level tank, this time decided to go with laid back approach. Easy scape, medium-slow growing plants - something simple but cheerful. Technical specifications:

Tank - 90p (90 x 45 x 45)
Stand - Custom built ADA replica
Lighting - Twinstar SM III
Filter - Oase 850 thermo
Skimmer - AquaOne JY 03
Substrate: Tropica

Hardscape: Local stones and some glued driftwood.
CO2 - TwinStar diffusor

Plant list (suggestions very welcomed):

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Cryptocoryne x willisii
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Cryptocoryne parva
Anubias barteri 'petite'
Bucephalandra sp. red / wavy green
Cypherus helferi
Echinodorus palifolius (hopefully will grow out of the water)
Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'
Weeping / Christmas moss
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Limnobium laevigatum / Phyllanthus fluitans

Attachments

• IMG_1474-Edit.jpg
    IMG_1474-Edit.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 667
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 134
Final plant list was a bit different, because surprisingly store didn't had Cypherus Helferi. So to help with a new start some fast stems were added: Rotala sp. green and various versions of Rotala s. red.

Some upcoming changes: Bucephalanda sp. wavy green will be change to sp. red or brown. More Microsorum Pteropus ‘petit’ added, Christmas moss added. Not sure about larger crypts (Wendtii 'Green' and Brown') - for now they give some depth because they are placed between wood and rotalas, however later, when rotalas will be changed to Cypherus Helferi, maybe they will look more 'in place'.

Will start adding fertilizers some days later.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 131
Two months have passed. Had some major algae blooms - brown diatom and green diatom / hair algae. Plant grow was below average as I couldn't find correct dosing, however after I moved to Aqua Rebell Estimated Index line, plants have reacted positively (increase in P04).

Lilaeopsis is starting to root and grow nicely, especially in the front. Bonsai was growing decently from the start. I see no more deficiency symptoms in Rotalas, however ferns are still looking sub-par, as leave tips are slightly melted. Bucephalandras have smaller leaves then usual, but I hope they will become bigger in time. Crypts and mosses are growing nicely, some small trims were made to keep them looking more tidily.

However, not a fan of how 'red' Rotalas are looking (Orange Juice, Hra and Rotundifolia). As water is quite rich in NO3 and lightning is set to only 50%, they are long, thin and without strong colour, Maybe some skillful trimming would help, but no idea how it should be done.. So probably they will be changed to Cyperus Helferi as was planned originally. Planning to keep 'green' Rotalas for now.

Some Amano shrimp were introduced (18 pcs) and fish should come in few weeks. Still debating what to add, but probably either Hemigrammus rodwayi or Hyphessobrycon eos together with some Corydoras.

Attachments

• 20220330163055_IMG_1896.JPG
    20220330163055_IMG_1896.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 103
New leaves on java fern are often translucent at the tip for a while at first, could that be what you are seeing?
Not sure, but it looks more 'melted' then translucent? Not sure..

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_211045.jpg
    IMG_20220331_211045.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220331_211226.jpg
    IMG_20220331_211226.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 87
@timseren the new leaves look normal here, from what I can tell in the first picture it seems that its mostly old growth that is deteriorating.
Trimming off those old damaged leaves will prompt the plant to put out more new leaves. Just make sure its getting enough fertilizer to do the growing :thumbup:

@timseren the new leaves look normal here, from what I can tell in the first picture it seems that its mostly old growth that is deteriorating.
Trimming off those old damaged leaves will prompt the plant to put out more new leaves. Just make sure its getting enough fertilizer to do the growing :thumbup:
Thank you! Will do!

Back