• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Returning to the hobby.

DPAZ101

Seedling
Hi Everyone,

I'm David from Whitley Bay, UK. It's been over 30 years since i kept a fish tank and being a keen gardener i decided to take the plunge into the world of planted tanks; bring a little water garden indoors.
When did maintaining a tank become so difficult ?:confused:
As you've probably guessed i haven't got off to the best start and you'll find my first main post in the 'Algae' section.
Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge of all members who've been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

Salutations :)

Welcome :)
For me I found the best way to combat algae is to plant the aquarium heavily, do weekly water changes, add ferts all from the start off, then keep removing any dead leaves, remove any algae. I start the lights off on about 6 to 7 hours a day until things settle down then you should be able to keep them on for longer, also I find that every aquarium is different and you might have to turn the lights down in one but up in another, it is all to do with finding a balance and tweaking as the aquarium matures, with this I have kept my 5 aquariums algae free from the start and I have shrimp in 4 of my aquariums which are constantly eating.
Hope you enjoy being back into the hobby.
Ian

Back