• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reuse the disposable nano co2 cylinders?

aspmos

I own a 60liter tank and I would like to make it as green as possible.
I've been thinking about co2 systems like Tropica nano co2 with this small co2 cylinders BUT... they cost more than 15euros each and the don't last too long, I don't know why you must not refill them...
My main problem is space, I don't want to use the big fire extinguisher.
So I've been thinking about reusing the empty nano cylinder with the DIY mix of citric acid and baking soda.
Why not?

PS Yes I know for the first time I will add half the amount of citric acid and baking soda to verify the pressure it will manage to create inside the nano cylinder. Definitely I don't want to explode myself.

tropica-tropica-co2-set-nano.jpg

Guess it would work, nice way to use up the old cylinder. Obviously check chemical resistance of the aluminium cylinder to citric acid and you might need some sort of overflow, to prevent the mix bubbling into the reg. Also you won't get the same pressure from the DIY mix, so it will run out quicker . When you take all that into account, might be easier to use plastic bottles.

I've been thinking about co2 systems like Tropica nano co2 with this small co2 cylinders BUT... they cost more than 15euros each and the don't last too long, I don't know why you must not refill them...

The disposable cylinders are non-refillable because of how they are made, on a FE or other refillable cylinder there is a 1-way valve/mechanism that only allows the CO2 gas to escape when a lever is pushed or another such action is done, these small disposables don't have that, and a hole is simply punctured in the top so would just empty the contents out when removed from the refilling device

So I've been thinking about reusing the empty nano cylinder with the DIY mix of citric acid and baking soda.
Why not?

PS Yes I know for the first time I will add half the amount of citric acid and baking soda to verify the pressure it will manage to create inside the nano cylinder. Definitely I don't want to explode myself.

The neck and hole that you would have to get the DIY ingredients in is very small (too small imo), plus the amount you could fit in there wouldn't really make it a viable option.

As mentioned, the canisters are recyclable anyway.

This won't last long on a 60 litre to get the proper effect of the co2. Having not enough co2 will cause algae issues. Its better to have no co2 than not have it stable. There is no control to turn off over night. I bought this then upgraded to proper solenoid controlled regulator very quickly. You'll find it impossible to fill the canisters through the small pin prick hole in the top and if you make it bigger it won't seal to create pressure in the system. I use soda stream cylinders as an easy to buy alternative

You guys are right.
I saw a commercial available product like that, with a cylinder with instruction for the DIY recipe, BUT it is not aluminum, it it stainless steel.
So I guess I have to forget about this.
I am thinking now about the small 500gr from Dennerle/Eheim/Dupla. It is reusable and only for liquid co2, not so small like the nano but there isn't any other way.
Thanks all of you

co2.PNG

JBL Bio Co2 set!
hoggie

You don't have to store your CO2 bottle/fire extinguisher near your tank of course. Some people have stored the cylinders in their garage and run 4mm CO2 tubing under the floor/along the skirting board to their tanks, with no issues. Just have to think very carefully when doing it, as if you have long lengths of piping that needs to be pressurised when CO2 comes on, that can lead to very difficult to set/control CO2 injection rates.

Why not?

Because if you use fermentation, the injection rate and concentration of CO2 are inconsistent and near impossible to control, which can lead to unnecessary problems. I think you should be considering if you really want/need CO2 injection. If yes, then get the proper equipment. If no, go low-tech.

Why aren't you considering a refillable 500g CO2 bottle instead of a fire extinguisher? It would be a one-time investment and the footprint of such bottle is similar to that of the Colombo CO2 reactor you mentioned.

1624269901364.png

Back